Old 13-01-2014, 10:22 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post

On 2014-01-12 05:37:32 +0000,
] said:

Dear All,
Can anyone identify this houseplant?

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic1.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic2.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic3.jpg

It was bought from a local supermarket (the Co-op) which labelled it
just "Foliage Ceramic"! Its leaves have a V-shaped rear notch a
little like the Arrow Head plant (Sagittaria) but none of the pictures
of species of Arrow Head plants I found looked like it. Since being
bought a week ago two of its leaves are dying so any tips on care and
cultivation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom Crane
Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.

Alocasia amazonica Polly. Something 'mask' is an additional name, I think.

I think you've got it, Sacha! I thought it might be a Caladium, but
your idea looks spot on. I've no idea how to grow it, but at least the
OP has something to look up now.

I have no shame! I Googled striped leaf Alocasia and that came up. The
overall shape and look seemed possible and so that led me onwards.
It's a very handsome plant but the OP needed a nudge with the first
part of the name and Kay supplied that, as did our less exotic
Alocasias, soI simply went a bit further.
I looked at the pic and thought "Nah, that's not a begonia", so I googled "houseplant veins" and got Alocasia "Polly" - probably the same dozen pics as Sacha, but worked on the principle that it's best to stick to the genus and leave species and variety to someone who either knows more or the OP who has the advantage of knowing the actual plant he's asking about.