Old 26-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Jim Webster

Default Whole-Crop silages

Dean Hoffman wrote in message
On 10/28/02 10:02 AM, in article

,
"Frank Brüsemeister" wrote:

Hy!

Currently I'm writing a study on whole-crop silages made of wheat,

oats,
barley or rye. Aim of the study is to qualify the metabolize energy

value of
those silages to conclude some statements of the possibility to feed

them in
milkproduction instead of gras- or maizsilages. High energy vaules

are
necessary for that.
Now I'm searching for articles in which the energetic values of the
different ensiled cereals arecompared, maybe in different matureity

stages
(i.e. milk ripeness, yellow ripeness, etc.).

You know any sources for that?

Bye
Frank

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/beef/g696.htm

The link is to the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. They do a lot

of ag
research there. Maybe someone there could help.

Dean

there is a lot of whole crop silage in the UK and probably Europe on
whole-crop silages. In the UK there are pretty popular in those areas
where we are at the limit of Maize growing. Not sure how much is on the
web but the two magazines that are most likely to cover whole crop are

Dairy FArmer Editor Shirley Macmillan
fax 01473 232822
email

British Dairying
Editor Judie Allen
fax 01327 860883

obviously you will have to put a country code in front of the fax
numbers

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'