Old 26-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Frank Brüsemeister

Default Whole-Crop silages

Hy!

Currently I'm writing a study on whole-crop silages made of wheat, oats,
barley or rye. Aim of the study is to qualify the metabolize energy value of
those silages to conclude some statements of the possibility to feed them in
milkproduction instead of gras- or maizsilages. High energy vaules are
necessary for that.
Now I'm searching for articles in which the energetic values of the
different ensiled cereals arecompared, maybe in different matureity stages
(i.e. milk ripeness, yellow ripeness, etc.).

You know any sources for that?

Bye
Frank

Old 26-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Dean Hoffman

On 10/28/02 10:02 AM, in article ,
"Frank Brüsemeister" wrote:

Hy!

Currently I'm writing a study on whole-crop silages made of wheat, oats,
barley or rye. Aim of the study is to qualify the metabolize energy value of
those silages to conclude some statements of the possibility to feed them in
milkproduction instead of gras- or maizsilages. High energy vaules are
necessary for that.
Now I'm searching for articles in which the energetic values of the
different ensiled cereals arecompared, maybe in different matureity stages
(i.e. milk ripeness, yellow ripeness, etc.).

You know any sources for that?

Bye
Frank

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/beef/g696.htm

The link is to the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. They do a lot of ag
research there. Maybe someone there could help.

Dean

Old 26-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Jim Webster

Dean Hoffman wrote in message
On 10/28/02 10:02 AM, in article

,
"Frank Brüsemeister" wrote:

[...]

there is a lot of whole crop silage in the UK and probably Europe on
whole-crop silages. In the UK there are pretty popular in those areas
where we are at the limit of Maize growing. Not sure how much is on the
web but the two magazines that are most likely to cover whole crop are

Dairy FArmer Editor Shirley Macmillan
fax 01473 232822
email

British Dairying
Editor Judie Allen
fax 01327 860883

obviously you will have to put a country code in front of the fax
numbers

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Old 26-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Jim Webster

Frank Brüsemeister wrote in message
Hi!

there is a lot of whole crop silage in the UK and probably Europe on
whole-crop silages. In the UK there are pretty popular in those

areas
where we are at the limit of Maize growing. Not sure how much is on

the
web but the two magazines that are most likely to cover whole crop

are

Thanks a lot for those adresses, I'll check them.
But in UK whole-crop silages are usually harvestet in a quite late

stage of
maturity. Silages in UK have dry matters above 50% and are usually

treatet
with urea for better conservation.

I suspect that this may vary. In the North West where we can have sixty
inches of rain a year ripening grain can be a bit problematic some
years, so we may well take the crop at a lot lower dry matter than they
would in the South East of the country.

Contrary in nothern europe (i.e. northern germany in my case) silages

are
harvestet in the state of dough ripeness, that means they have dry

matters
of about 30% or 40% and are ensiled without urea.
But mayby the results of the UK-researches are transferable.

certainly I would check