Old 26-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Day Brown

Default Human civilization is based on the staple acorn!

Cereoid+10 wrote:

You are completely nuts, Archie.

So you are saying that the African veld is full of oak trees?

10,000 years ago, the most innovative place was Anatolia. The
charcoals found in the hearths include oaks and acorn shells. But
that aint the half of it, or even 10%.

It looks like North Africa had the jump on it with herding 25kya,
but it also looks like maybe overgrazing started out the Sahara.
That, and the indigeneous hunting tribes drove all the herders out
of business except what we now know as the Masai.

But DNA says that all modern European breeds of cattle come from
Aurochs, and they were being herded on the high plain of Anatolia
10kya, along with some kind of caproid. Another region there ran
swine up into pistascio thickets, and the then great lake there was
full of wintering waterfowl.

Then too, there were mineral resources of an active volcanic area;
ash which proved to make a good plaster. A site in the western part
of this closed drainage basin was industrial scale obsidian flaking,
in different styles according to what would sell in different
directions of export. And critical in the era would have been the
salt flats, just like we see at Salt Lake in Utah, for preserving
the various meats. A lot of different resources within a couple
hundred km of the various resource production sites.