Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Kale vs Bok Choy

Terry Coombs wrote:
Can kale be subbed in stirfry for bok choy ?

Yes but it cooks quicker, put it in near the end.

I have kale seeds , but
have never grown it . I'm getting my plan together for this year's
garden , with an emphasis on staples such as corn , beans dry and
green , tomatoes , etc , but I'd like to try some new stuff . I see
from looking online that kale and bok are both brassicas , and
wondered how different they would be in chinese cooking .

Fairly similar in flavour depending on which cultivars you grow. Bok Choy
leaves cook as fast as kale but the stems take longer than leaves. I don't
like the stems of kale much so I cut them out but they are edible, just more
woody than bok choy. Kale has the advantage of being biennial and you can
keep cutting and it will come again.

I'll be tryin' to grow lettuce again , but I think I'll try something
besides black seeded simpson , never have been happy with the lettuce
I've grown . Might even try a headed variety this year . Also going
to attempt some spinach , we really like it in salads . Hmm , kale
might be good in salad too ...

It is, particularly the young leaves, it can get a bit tough if they get
old.

I'll be doubling the garden space this year , since I'm here full
time now and I just filed for retirement . I told my wife I'm going
to become a "Gentleman Farmer" , she like to fell out laughing at me
... but hey , we've got "livestock" chickens , and I'll be growing
stuff , so what's so funny ?

Nothing funny at all. Start some wine grapes and you will have all the main
food groups.