Old 06-02-2014, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bloke Down The Pub Bloke Down The Pub is offline

Default Kale vs Bok Choy

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Can kale be subbed in stirfry for bok choy ? I have kale seeds , but have
never grown it . I'm getting my plan together for this year's garden ,
with an emphasis on staples such as corn , beans dry and green ,
tomatoes , etc , but I'd like to try some new stuff . I see from looking
online that kale and bok are both brassicas , and wondered how different
they would be in chinese cooking .
I'll be tryin' to grow lettuce again , but I think I'll try something
besides black seeded simpson , never have been happy with the lettuce I've
grown . Might even try a headed variety this year . Also going to attempt
some spinach , we really like it in salads . Hmm , kale might be good in
salad too ...
I'll be doubling the garden space this year , since I'm here full time
now and I just filed for retirement . I told my wife I'm going to become a
"Gentleman Farmer" , she like to fell out laughing at me ... but hey ,
we've got "livestock" chickens , and I'll be growing stuff , so what's
so funny ?

In my experience kale is more bitter than bok choy, although not so bitter
that it is unpalatable. This could be the type of kale I have grown (Curly
Kale) and also I tend to wait until it has nice large leaves, so probably
miss out on the young leaves. My wife and the kids when they were at home
used to love it baked in to chips/crisps.

"Gentleman Farmer" maybe it was the green wellingtons that had her laughing.

Mike