Old 06-02-2014, 01:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Kale vs Bok Choy

Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Can kale be subbed in stirfry for bok choy ? I have kale seeds ,
but have never grown it . I'm getting my plan together for this
year's garden , with an emphasis on staples such as corn , beans
dry and green , tomatoes , etc , but I'd like to try some new
stuff . I see from looking online that kale and bok are both
brassicas , and wondered how different they would be in chinese
cooking . I'll be tryin' to grow lettuce again , but I think I'll
try something besides black seeded simpson , never have been happy
with the lettuce I've grown . Might even try a headed variety this
year . Also going to attempt some spinach , we really like it in
salads . Hmm , kale might be good in salad too ...
I'll be doubling the garden space this year , since I'm here full
time now and I just filed for retirement . I told my wife I'm going
to become a "Gentleman Farmer" , she like to fell out laughing at me
... but hey , we've got "livestock" chickens , and I'll be growing
stuff , so what's so funny ?

In my experience kale is more bitter than bok choy, although not so
bitter that it is unpalatable. This could be the type of kale I have
grown (Curly Kale) and also I tend to wait until it has nice large
leaves, so probably miss out on the young leaves. My wife and the
kids when they were at home used to love it baked in to chips/crisps.

"Gentleman Farmer" maybe it was the green wellingtons that had her
laughing.
Mike

Actually I was wearing motorcycle boots when I said that ... but no black
leather and the only chain was the one on my wallet .
--
Snag