Old 07-02-2014, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
natp[_3_] natp[_3_] is offline

Default Kale vs Bok Choy

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Can kale be subbed in stirfry for bok choy ?

Probably, but they have different textures. Doesn't bok choy resemble celery?

I'm getting my plan together for this year's garden , with
an emphasis on staples such as corn , beans dry and green , tomatoes , etc
, but I'd like to try some new stuff .

I tried growing pole beans last year but they died. I'm going to try again
this year. The bush beans grow well but picking them has become arduous.

I see from looking online that kale
and bok are both brassicas , and wondered how different they would be in
chinese cooking .

I have also been trying a Chinese food motif: garlic, kohlrabi in lieu of
water chestnut, mung beans (used to make sprouts), green onions, and sweet
corn picked at the "baby" stage. Also morel mushrooms from the woods.

I'll be tryin' to grow lettuce again , but I think I'll try something
besides black seeded simpson , never have been happy with the lettuce I've
grown . Might even try a headed variety this year . Also going to attempt
some spinach , we really like it in salads .

Leaf lettuce grows well for me but I'm not fond of it. Head lettuce
and spinach are intolerant of warm (not even hot) weather. I tried
growing Iceberg and it bolted (formed a seed stalk) almost immediately.
I had good luck growing spinach in the basement in winter; in a plastic
tote full of dirt with a shop light hanging over it.