Old 15-02-2014, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A bit breezy...

Just found a1600 x 600 mm glass panel on the lawn! It had been sucked
out of the roof at the gable end of the Halls 14 x 8 greenhouse, which
went up just over a year ago. Fortunately it missed the paving stones
and landed on the grass. Also, I'd opted for toughened glass; I hate to
think what might have happened with ordinary glass.

It's interesting that this probably wouldn't have happened if the 50 x
15 ft conifer hedge hadn't been there (although that may have led to
other problems!). The hedge is to the west of the greenhouse, and about
8 feet away, so the gale blowing from the south-west and over the hedge
must have created a local vacuum at that spot (though why the other roof
panels didn't go too is a mystery). I'll put it back later today when
the wind drops.

--

Jeff