Old 15-02-2014, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A bit breezy...

Just found a1600 x 600 mm glass panel on the lawn! It had been sucked
out of the roof at the gable end of the Halls 14 x 8 greenhouse, which
went up just over a year ago. Fortunately it missed the paving stones
and landed on the grass. Also, I'd opted for toughened glass; I hate to
think what might have happened with ordinary glass.

It's interesting that this probably wouldn't have happened if the 50 x
15 ft conifer hedge hadn't been there (although that may have led to
other problems!). The hedge is to the west of the greenhouse, and about
8 feet away, so the gale blowing from the south-west and over the hedge
must have created a local vacuum at that spot (though why the other roof
panels didn't go too is a mystery). I'll put it back later today when
the wind drops.

--

Jeff
Old 15-02-2014, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/02/2014 08:58, Jeff Layman wrote:
Just found a1600 x 600 mm glass panel on the lawn! It had been sucked
out of the roof at the gable end of the Halls 14 x 8 greenhouse, which
went up just over a year ago. Fortunately it missed the paving stones
and landed on the grass. Also, I'd opted for toughened glass; I hate to
think what might have happened with ordinary glass.

It's interesting that this probably wouldn't have happened if the 50 x
15 ft conifer hedge hadn't been there (although that may have led to
other problems!). The hedge is to the west of the greenhouse, and about
8 feet away, so the gale blowing from the south-west and over the hedge
must have created a local vacuum at that spot (though why the other roof
panels didn't go too is a mystery). I'll put it back later today when
the wind drops.

It does sound as if you were lucky.
Have you checked that all the glazing clips are in place?
It's amazing how they can spring themselves over time.
Here overlooking Swansea Bay we have had another rough spell, 19 hours
in the last 24 with the wind gusting to over 60 mph, with a tip gust of
83mph, now just a good breeze of around 40mph with gusts to around 60mph.
David
Old 15-02-2014, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/02/2014 09:14, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've had a look and everything /seems/ ok. What was odd is that
the top clip of the missing panel was still in place, as it is held
tightly under the frame of the roof vent (which was closed down as it
uses an autovent opener). In fact, I had to use a screwdriver to lever
out the clip as it was so tightly in place! I wouldn't normally expect
clips to come loose after only a year, but the wind here over that time
has been exceptional, and probably equals 10 years of normal wind! Last
night was undoubtedly one of the windiest in the past few months.

I assume your new greenhouses weathered it all without problem.

--

Jeff