Old 16-02-2014, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chicken Manure

In article ,
Derek wrote:
I have inherited a large chicken run when buying a house. Nicely
netted all round and on top, so it would make a great fruit cage, (its
big!) Chickens have called it home for at least seven years maybe
longer, could the soil be too toxic for fruit?

Dunno, but my advice would be to grow vegetables in it first,
see how they did, and to remove some of the nitrogen. You won't
need to add phosphorus for at least several decades!

I would recommend leaf vegetables and things like radishes,
because winter root ones might produce all leaf and no root.
The cage would also protect brassicas from pigeons - try
mizuna, pak choi, chard (if you like it), and any other of
the summer ones you like. I would add kohl rabi.

If they grow well, just think how much healthy eating you could
do this summer :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.