Old 16-02-2014, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chicken Manure

I have inherited a large chicken run when buying a house. Nicely
netted all round and on top, so it would make a great fruit cage, (its
big!) Chickens have called it home for at least seven years maybe
longer, could the soil be too toxic for fruit?

Old 16-02-2014, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Derek wrote:
I have inherited a large chicken run when buying a house. Nicely
netted all round and on top, so it would make a great fruit cage, (its
big!) Chickens have called it home for at least seven years maybe
longer, could the soil be too toxic for fruit?

Dunno, but my advice would be to grow vegetables in it first,
see how they did, and to remove some of the nitrogen. You won't
need to add phosphorus for at least several decades!

I would recommend leaf vegetables and things like radishes,
because winter root ones might produce all leaf and no root.
The cage would also protect brassicas from pigeons - try
mizuna, pak choi, chard (if you like it), and any other of
the summer ones you like. I would add kohl rabi.

If they grow well, just think how much healthy eating you could
do this summer :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-02-2014, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/02/2014 13:58, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Derek wrote:
[...]

Since you're contemplating a fruit cage, why not find a corner to put
some rhubarb? It's partial to lots of 'muck' and a rather acid soil
(which it may be) so you'd get a good crop. Blueberries and raspberries
also appreciate an acid soil, so you could make a start with fruit
whilst growing the veg which Nick recommends.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 16-02-2014, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 13:29:09 +0000, Derek wrote:

I have inherited a large chicken run when buying a house. Nicely netted
all round and on top, so it would make a great fruit cage, (its big!)
Chickens have called it home for at least seven years maybe longer,
could the soil be too toxic for fruit?

Oh FFS get some chickens! I recommend Speckeldy hybrids. Lovely eggs and
very, very affectionate
Old 16-02-2014, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/02/2014 18:34, Derek Turner wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 13:29:09 +0000, Derek wrote:

I have inherited a large chicken run when buying a house. Nicely netted
all round and on top, so it would make a great fruit cage, (its big!)
Chickens have called it home for at least seven years maybe longer,
could the soil be too toxic for fruit?

Oh FFS get some chickens! I recommend Speckeldy hybrids. Lovely eggs and
very, very affectionate

OK so it's had chickens for a few years but that tells us nothing really.
We have no idea of the size of the area, and how many chickens they kept.
Is the inside bare earth or is there still some grass?
If it's 15ft x 20 ft and they just had half a dozen chickens then no
real problem, but if it's 12ft x 12ft and they had a dozen or more then
a bot more of a problem.
But I'd dig it over deeply the old Double digging would pay dividends
and remove some of the problem, as long as your soil allows it.
I'd go for the fruit, but bear in mind you may have 8ft raspberry canes
if the ground is rich.
You could also grow a crop of beans this year, they'll love it.
David @ a very changed side of Swansea Bay even had hover flys out
foraging today.

Old 16-02-2014, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 18:51:21 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

We have no idea of the size of the area,

30ft by 15ft

and how many chickens they kept.

No idea, but two chicken houses, size of a large dolls house

Is the inside bare earth or is there still some grass?

definitely no grass, plenty of what could be mud, but everything bit
damp at the moment.

But I'd dig it over deeply the old Double digging would pay dividends

Agree

I'd go for the fruit, but bear in mind you may have 8ft raspberry canes

first on my list, with red and black currents, and gooseberry

Derek (sunny Lincoln)
Old 18-02-2014, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have no idea of the size of the area,

30ft by 15ft

and how many chickens they kept.

No idea, but two chicken houses, size of a large dolls house

Is the inside bare earth or is there still some grass?

definitely no grass, plenty of what could be mud, but everything bit
damp at the moment.

Are you sure you don't want to keep a few chickens?
The fresh eggs from your own hens are much nicer than shop bought ones.

But I'd dig it over deeply the old Double digging would pay dividends

Agree

I'd go for the fruit, but bear in mind you may have 8ft raspberry canes

first on my list, with red and black currents, and gooseberry

Be sure to get a gooseberry that is mildew resistant - there are a
couple of really nice sweet dessert red gooseberries. And inside a fruit
cage you stand a chance of getting to eat some Jostaberries.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-02-2014, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:40:50 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

Are you sure you don't want to keep a few chickens?
The fresh eggs from your own hens are much nicer than shop bought ones.

Could not agree more, but

will be more than likely buying mine off a neighbour, might even swop
for some Jostaberries.

Be sure to get a gooseberry that is mildew resistant - there are a
couple of really nice sweet dessert red gooseberries. And inside a fruit
cage you stand a chance of getting to eat some Jostaberries.

Have added to the list, only two of us, (but big into making jam -
using the microwave! ) so plan to have many types of fruit. Have
plenty of space outside the cage for the very first time.

Three huge compost heaps, asparagus bed, and a plan to be self
suffiant, most of the year . :-)

Have two mature greengages, and a cherry, and an apple tree, but
adding another apple (russet),
Old 18-02-2014, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Are you sure you don't want to keep a few chickens?
The fresh eggs from your own hens are much nicer than shop bought ones.

Could not agree more, but

will be more than likely buying mine off a neighbour, might even swop
for some Jostaberries.

Be sure to get a gooseberry that is mildew resistant - there are a
couple of really nice sweet dessert red gooseberries. And inside a fruit
cage you stand a chance of getting to eat some Jostaberries.

Have added to the list, only two of us, (but big into making jam -
using the microwave! ) so plan to have many types of fruit. Have
plenty of space outside the cage for the very first time.

Three huge compost heaps, asparagus bed, and a plan to be self
suffiant, most of the year . :-)

Have two mature greengages, and a cherry, and an apple tree, but
adding another apple (russet),

That sounds wonderful! Lucky you. I bet it was the garden that sold
the house, rather than the other way about.

If you've got room for another fruit tree, a Victoria plum would be good
for eating fresh and for making jam.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London