Old 16-02-2014, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Chicken Manure

On 16/02/2014 18:34, Derek Turner wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 13:29:09 +0000, Derek wrote:

I have inherited a large chicken run when buying a house. Nicely netted
all round and on top, so it would make a great fruit cage, (its big!)
Chickens have called it home for at least seven years maybe longer,
could the soil be too toxic for fruit?

Oh FFS get some chickens! I recommend Speckeldy hybrids. Lovely eggs and
very, very affectionate

OK so it's had chickens for a few years but that tells us nothing really.
We have no idea of the size of the area, and how many chickens they kept.
Is the inside bare earth or is there still some grass?
If it's 15ft x 20 ft and they just had half a dozen chickens then no
real problem, but if it's 12ft x 12ft and they had a dozen or more then
a bot more of a problem.
But I'd dig it over deeply the old Double digging would pay dividends
and remove some of the problem, as long as your soil allows it.
I'd go for the fruit, but bear in mind you may have 8ft raspberry canes
if the ground is rich.
You could also grow a crop of beans this year, they'll love it.
David @ a very changed side of Swansea Bay even had hover flys out
foraging today.