Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Grafting tomatoes

wrote:
I want to try grafting some of my favorite heirlooms this year.

Can anyone point me to some good websites explaining techniques?

My small motor skills are not wonderful, so any help I can get would
increase my odds of success.

Thanks,

I am sorry I cannot help with the immediate question as I have never
considered it.

Why would you bother learning such a technique and fussing about with it for
the sake of annuals? I know about using strong rootstock to keep desirable
cultivars producing that don't necessarily have good roots - but in this
case why bother? There are so many cultivars available you must be able to
get several tasty ones that do well in your situation.

My theory is that the commercially available grafted tomatoes have the
benefit of being very expensive. How is that a benefit? Well if you pay
that much you are going to lavish care and attention on it and so achieve
the stated aim regardless of the qualities of the rootstock or the efficacy
of the graft.