Old 26-02-2014, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
No Name

Default Grafting tomatoes

I want to try grafting some of my favorite heirlooms this year.

Can anyone point me to some good websites explaining techniques?

My small motor skills are not wonderful, so any help I can get would
increase my odds of success.

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.gardens.edible...)
Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:14:44 -0500, wrote:

I want to try grafting some of my favorite heirlooms this year.

Can anyone point me to some good websites explaining techniques?

My small motor skills are not wonderful, so any help I can get would
increase my odds of success.

Thanks,

Check Territorial Seed Company, www.TerritorialSeed.com. They sell
grafted plants and seed for grafting rootstock.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
No Name

"David" == David Hare-Scott writes:

David wrote:
I want to try grafting some of my favorite heirlooms this year.

Can anyone point me to some good websites explaining techniques?

My small motor skills are not wonderful, so any help I can get
would increase my odds of success.

Thanks,

David I am sorry I cannot help with the immediate question as I
David have never considered it.

David Why would you bother learning such a technique and fussing
David about with it for the sake of annuals? I know about using
David strong rootstock to keep desirable cultivars producing that
David don't necessarily have good roots - but in this case why
David bother? There are so many cultivars available you must be
David able to get several tasty ones that do well in your
David situation.

Periodically I have a lot of trouble with disease. This is recommended
as both disease prevention and a larger plant as the roots support more
plant. If it works, I will put about 30% fewer plants into the garden.

David My theory is that the commercially available grafted tomatoes
David have the benefit of being very expensive. How is that a
David benefit? Well if you pay that much you are going to lavish
David care and attention on it and so achieve the stated aim
David regardless of the qualities of the rootstock or the efficacy
David of the graft.

I plan to do the grafting myself. They do charge an arm and a leg to
do it for you, and send the plants later that I would like.

Thanks,

Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I want to try grafting some of my favorite heirlooms this year.

Can anyone point me to some good websites explaining techniques?

Johnny's Selected Seeds has an online video showing how to do it in great
detail. They sell the clips to hold root and scion together, and I've
found the smaller utility knife available at your favorite big box store
(the kind with the snap-away blade segments) is razor sharp and works
nicely. Now, my skills at this need work; I'll do some this spring.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/mediaplay...ideos_012 014

They also have a bunch of other how-to videos.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
No Name

"Gary" == Gary Woods writes:

Gary wrote:
I want to try grafting some of my favorite heirlooms this year.

Can anyone point me to some good websites explaining techniques?

Gary Johnny's Selected Seeds has an online video showing how to do
Gary it in great detail. They sell the clips to hold root and
Gary scion together, and I've found the smaller utility knife
Gary available at your favorite big box store (the kind with the
Gary snap-away blade segments) is razor sharp and works nicely.
Gary Now, my skills at this need work; I'll do some this spring.

Gary http://www.johnnyseeds.com/mediaplay...ideos_012 014

Gary They also have a bunch of other how-to videos.

Thanks, I did order some of their clips and the tool, and have recruited
a friend that I give excess plants to to help with the grafting. She
has better small motor than I do.

I missed the video which seems very helpful.

Thanks again.

Gary -- Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
Gary home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York,
Gary 1420' elevation. NY WO G