Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
No Name

Default Grafting tomatoes

"David" == David Hare-Scott writes:

David wrote:
I want to try grafting some of my favorite heirlooms this year.

Can anyone point me to some good websites explaining techniques?

My small motor skills are not wonderful, so any help I can get
would increase my odds of success.

Thanks,

David I am sorry I cannot help with the immediate question as I
David have never considered it.

David Why would you bother learning such a technique and fussing
David about with it for the sake of annuals? I know about using
David strong rootstock to keep desirable cultivars producing that
David don't necessarily have good roots - but in this case why
David bother? There are so many cultivars available you must be
David able to get several tasty ones that do well in your
David situation.

Periodically I have a lot of trouble with disease. This is recommended
as both disease prevention and a larger plant as the roots support more
plant. If it works, I will put about 30% fewer plants into the garden.

David My theory is that the commercially available grafted tomatoes
David have the benefit of being very expensive. How is that a
David benefit? Well if you pay that much you are going to lavish
David care and attention on it and so achieve the stated aim
David regardless of the qualities of the rootstock or the efficacy
David of the graft.

I plan to do the grafting myself. They do charge an arm and a leg to
do it for you, and send the plants later that I would like.

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.gardens.edible...)