Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Apples and cherries and ...

Yummy Plants wrote:
Terry Coombs;999391 Wrote:
Peaches and pears !
I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure
which
ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the rest
not so
much . --
Snag

If it helps, I have a sour cherry (Morello) that is self pollinating.
If you prefer Sweet Cherry "Sunburst" is also self pollinating.

Jamie

Thanks ! I'll be doing some research , see what others in this area have
had good results with . My neighbor at the end of the road says that nothing
will grow well here ... in his experience . But then I have no idea what he
was trying to grow , the light/water/etc conditions and all that . I do know
that pears do well in this area , but I'm not sure what variety . I've also
been told that some have had good results with the other 3 fruits named ,
but the guy I was talking to didn't know specifics . I do know for sure I
want the orchard area to have good full sun for at least 6-8 hours daily .
That's OK , those trees I must cut down will be great fire wood next
winter - unless I burn it all before spring gets here !
--
Snag