Old 04-03-2014, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Apples and cherries and ...

Peaches and pears !
I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure which
ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the rest not so
much . Additionally , our across-the-little-dirt-road neighbor and his wife
are planning on planting some fruit trees too . And we'll have bees this
year , AFAIK the first hive here in The Holler .
--
Snag

Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Coombs View Post
Peaches and pears !
I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure which
ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the rest not so
much . --
Snag
If it helps, I have a sour cherry (Morello) that is self pollinating. If you prefer Sweet Cherry "Sunburst" is also self pollinating.

Jamie
Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Yummy Plants wrote:
Terry Coombs;999391 Wrote:
Peaches and pears !
I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure
which
ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the rest
not so
much . --
Snag

If it helps, I have a sour cherry (Morello) that is self pollinating.
If you prefer Sweet Cherry "Sunburst" is also self pollinating.

Jamie

Thanks ! I'll be doing some research , see what others in this area have
had good results with . My neighbor at the end of the road says that nothing
will grow well here ... in his experience . But then I have no idea what he
was trying to grow , the light/water/etc conditions and all that . I do know
that pears do well in this area , but I'm not sure what variety . I've also
been told that some have had good results with the other 3 fruits named ,
but the guy I was talking to didn't know specifics . I do know for sure I
want the orchard area to have good full sun for at least 6-8 hours daily .
That's OK , those trees I must cut down will be great fire wood next
winter - unless I burn it all before spring gets here !
--
Snag

Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Peaches and pears !
I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure which
ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the rest not so
much . Additionally , our across-the-little-dirt-road neighbor and his wife
are planning on planting some fruit trees too . And we'll have bees this
year , AFAIK the first hive here in The Holler .

Varieties vary - do research on the ones you want. For Apples, if you
have space, a crab is the traditional "good pollinator for everybody"
and also makes jelly if you like. If space is concern you can play games
with grafting to get more varieties.

"Tart" or pie cherries are less fussy than sweet cherries - sweet
cherries have a few self pollinators and a lot of "this will pollinate
that, but these two won't pollinate each other" most of which are
documented at any decent nursery selling them, at least for the ones
they sell.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
Peaches and pears !
I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure
which ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the
rest not so much . Additionally , our across-the-little-dirt-road
neighbor and his wife are planning on planting some fruit trees too .
And we'll have bees this year , AFAIK the first hive here in The
Holler .

It isn't all or none. Some fruit trees fruit much better with a
co-pollinator others not so much. Also just because A pollinates B doesn't
mean that B pollinates A. Do your research on the particular cultivars you
are proposing to plant before making your decision. Remember to consider
other requirments such as chilling. It's sad that you need to have a hive
to get bees.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Peaches and pears !
I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure
which ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the
rest not so much . Additionally , our across-the-little-dirt-road
neighbor and his wife are planning on planting some fruit trees too .
And we'll have bees this year , AFAIK the first hive here in The
Holler .

It isn't all or none. Some fruit trees fruit much better with a
co-pollinator others not so much. Also just because A pollinates B
doesn't mean that B pollinates A. Do your research on the particular
cultivars you are proposing to plant before making your decision. Remember
to consider other requirments such as chilling. It's sad
that you need to have a hive to get bees.

I've seen a very few bees down here , but there are other pollinators .
We've wanted bees for quite a while , but the time wasn't right until now -
getting a new hive up and self-sustaining requires a bit of attention to be
successful . There are other benefits than pollination , however . We love
honey , and it's one more step towards self-sustainability .
On the pollination scheme , I'll be doing research for our area , and
consulting with the neighbor's wife since she's the driving force on their
project .
--
Snag

Old 09-03-2014, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
On the pollination scheme , I'll be doing research for our area , and
consulting with the neighbor's wife since she's the driving force on their
project .

i'll second the "research" approach to each variety
for pollination purposes. there can be a lot of
differences in cherries (seven groups which are not
compatible between each other). some people will graft
a branch on the tree from a compatible variety for
pollinating if they are tight on space.

songbird
Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
On the pollination scheme , I'll be doing research for our area ,
and consulting with the neighbor's wife since she's the driving
force on their project .

i'll second the "research" approach to each variety
for pollination purposes. there can be a lot of
differences in cherries (seven groups which are not
compatible between each other). some people will graft
a branch on the tree from a compatible variety for
pollinating if they are tight on space.

songbird

I talked to the neighbor girl I have children older ... yesterday and
she basically hasn't a clue other than generalities . We'll be putting in
trees that will not need anyone else's trees for pollination . One of the
local grocery stores has a very nice nursery out back and some very
knowledgeable people , so I'll be consulting them .
As far as room , we've got 12 (heavily wooded) acres , I've got a pretty
nice clearing for the orchard almost done . If we need more room , I'll just
cut another tree or 3 down . A fun and interesting thing , there are a LOT
of muscadine vines in the area I've been cutting . BTW , those trees won't
be wasted , we heat with wood , and I'm getting a head start on next year -
assuming this year doesn't turn cold and snowy again .
Anybody got a link to info about cultivating wild muscadines ? I plan on
trying to train them to trellisses , some will be in the orchard since they
won't block the sun from the trees if I trellis them .
--
Snag