Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Apples and cherries and ...

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Peaches and pears !
I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure which
ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the rest not so
much . Additionally , our across-the-little-dirt-road neighbor and his wife
are planning on planting some fruit trees too . And we'll have bees this
year , AFAIK the first hive here in The Holler .

Varieties vary - do research on the ones you want. For Apples, if you
have space, a crab is the traditional "good pollinator for everybody"
and also makes jelly if you like. If space is concern you can play games
with grafting to get more varieties.

"Tart" or pie cherries are less fussy than sweet cherries - sweet
cherries have a few self pollinators and a lot of "this will pollinate
that, but these two won't pollinate each other" most of which are
documented at any decent nursery selling them, at least for the ones
they sell.