Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Apples and cherries and ...

Terry Coombs wrote:
Peaches and pears !
I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure
which ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the
rest not so much . Additionally , our across-the-little-dirt-road
neighbor and his wife are planning on planting some fruit trees too .
And we'll have bees this year , AFAIK the first hive here in The
Holler .

It isn't all or none. Some fruit trees fruit much better with a
co-pollinator others not so much. Also just because A pollinates B doesn't
mean that B pollinates A. Do your research on the particular cultivars you
are proposing to plant before making your decision. Remember to consider
other requirments such as chilling. It's sad that you need to have a hive
to get bees.