Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Apples and cherries and ...

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Peaches and pears !
I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure
which ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the
rest not so much . Additionally , our across-the-little-dirt-road
neighbor and his wife are planning on planting some fruit trees too .
And we'll have bees this year , AFAIK the first hive here in The
Holler .

It isn't all or none. Some fruit trees fruit much better with a
co-pollinator others not so much. Also just because A pollinates B
doesn't mean that B pollinates A. Do your research on the particular
cultivars you are proposing to plant before making your decision. Remember
to consider other requirments such as chilling. It's sad
that you need to have a hive to get bees.

I've seen a very few bees down here , but there are other pollinators .
We've wanted bees for quite a while , but the time wasn't right until now -
getting a new hive up and self-sustaining requires a bit of attention to be
successful . There are other benefits than pollination , however . We love
honey , and it's one more step towards self-sustainability .
On the pollination scheme , I'll be doing research for our area , and
consulting with the neighbor's wife since she's the driving force on their
project .
--
Snag