Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Difficult to climb fencing

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 16:45:46 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"P Bentley" wrote

We are needing a long stretch of fencing around our allotment. But we
really need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

It does not have to look pretty, but must be *difficult* to climb, as we
have had a number of thefts on the allotment. We are not allowed to use
any barbed-wire.

Any suggestions as to what good inexpensive fencing is available with
the above requirements, we would be grateful for. Thanks.

I've been an allotment rep for many years and attended many meetings
where sites reported criminal damage and thefts. Some had very expensive
metal fencing, impossible to climb, the thieves just cut a big hole
through it and it cost a fortune to replace, twice!
The only way to stop thefts is to ensure nothing of value is ever kept
on the site, all sheds must be kept unlocked. Indeed the best way is to
remove all sheds, no sheds no temptation. If plot holders use the shed
as a toilet then it would be cheaper to build a proper composting toilet
on site than erect a strong fence, more temptation.
A small trailer for the car is no more than the cost of a shed to buy
and allows you to collect manure etc too, as well as carting your tools
back and forth. If you live close to the site then use a wheelbarrow to
cart your tools. You could, like me, invest in an old Defender as a
moving allotment shed.
When I moved to our present site there was only one plot with a tiny
shed and there was never any thefts or damage until the sudden influx of
new gardeners, all of which immediately put a shed up. Result, we have
been subject to at least annual thefts and damage ever since.

All very logical IF you have plenty of parking and easy access from the
parking to your plot.

At our allotments parking is very limited, and since they sub-divided into
half plots (5 rods IIRC) only the plot holder nearest the track has any
chance of parking a Land Rover or a trailer at the plot.

Ours is a 'C' plot which means you have to trek down from the track past
'A' and 'B' to get there - in fact there may be four plots - I need to
check if it is 'n' then 'nA' 'nB' 'nC'. Anyway it is a long trek from the
minimal parking to the plot. Coupled with the logistics of moving your
'nickables' from your trailer (if you can find room to park it) in several
trips both going and coming it is not an easy task.

It is a real PITA if you haven't got room to park a trailer and you have
to heave everything in and out of the back of the car (including the wheel
barrow to move it all in) each time you go down there.

The result is that most plot holders leave the basic gardening tools -
spade, fork, rake, hand tools etc. - down at the allotment so that they
are there when you need them and not a major pain to take back and forth
each time you visit.

I would love to be able to use an old Defender as a mobile shed :-)

There is Smar****er in use at the site.

We are also a relatively low crime area.

The major security (apart from prickly hedges) is the combination lock on
the gate.

However most people are too lazy to re-lock and scramble the combination.

Many are too lazy to even close the gate.

Still, level of theft remains low AFAIK.

I am looking forward to the shed going up as a place to sit and admire the
allotment on a summer evening - so I am probably deluding myself.

Cheers

Dave R