Old 09-03-2014, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 18:01:58 +0000, Peter Percival wrote:

Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?

There are several elms that are resistant to Dutch Elm Disease. It seems
some at least of these are sold under the name "Ulmus resista" or "Ulmus
x resista".

I planted 2 elms sold to me as Ulmus resista (with a trademark indicating
they originated in Dutch nurseries), one around 1993 and one 6-7 years
later. They both grew very enthusiastically and showed no sign of the
disease, the older one was quite a stately tree already.

There are also some shrubby cultivars.

Unfortunately I lost both of these trees in the gales this year.

It appears that it's too windy here for elms, so they are to be replaced
with live oaks, Quercus gilva and myrsinifolia.

HTH
--
Gardening in Lower Normandy