Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Apples and cherries and ...

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
On the pollination scheme , I'll be doing research for our area ,
and consulting with the neighbor's wife since she's the driving
force on their project .

i'll second the "research" approach to each variety
for pollination purposes. there can be a lot of
differences in cherries (seven groups which are not
compatible between each other). some people will graft
a branch on the tree from a compatible variety for
pollinating if they are tight on space.

songbird

I talked to the neighbor girl I have children older ... yesterday and
she basically hasn't a clue other than generalities . We'll be putting in
trees that will not need anyone else's trees for pollination . One of the
local grocery stores has a very nice nursery out back and some very
knowledgeable people , so I'll be consulting them .
As far as room , we've got 12 (heavily wooded) acres , I've got a pretty
nice clearing for the orchard almost done . If we need more room , I'll just
cut another tree or 3 down . A fun and interesting thing , there are a LOT
of muscadine vines in the area I've been cutting . BTW , those trees won't
be wasted , we heat with wood , and I'm getting a head start on next year -
assuming this year doesn't turn cold and snowy again .
Anybody got a link to info about cultivating wild muscadines ? I plan on
trying to train them to trellisses , some will be in the orchard since they
won't block the sun from the trees if I trellis them .
--
Snag