Old 13-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Voice of Reason

Default Hello group from an old timer

Hi group,
Greetings from a '69 U. Mass grad in forest management. Despite graduating
in forestry, I've never worked in the field, but do not begrudge all the
hours of study and education in a University setting. In fact after many
years I went BACK to school at Penn State and became a medical practitioner
as a Physician Assistant. I tell patients I used to do tree surgery, and
now I'm doing people surgery. G

Any UMIES out there?

I live in Colorado now, and plead ignorance of many of these western
species, and grew up in forestry in New England. I'm doing some
silvicultural work on our 8 Acre mountain home site, trying to get ahead of
the beetles. We have a few mature old wise trees we hope to save, but
realize the beetle may win out for now. The local extension agent gave a
nice presentation to the townfolk here in Westcliffe, last year, blaming
much of the problem on our 4th year of drought and decreased pitch in the
Pinions, spruces and lodgepoles. Any suggestions are welcome, it's been
MANY years since studying forestry.

Bob Finlay
Westcliffe, CO.