Old 01-05-2006, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Virgin seed grower (hello group!)

"Gary" wrote in message
k...

Last Christmas (resists the urge to break into song) my wife bought me a
chili plant growing kit with Jalapenos and a couple of other varieties. I
like chili peppers!

Anyway, I've germinated them in the airing cupboard, got lots of
seedlings.
Transferred them to larger pots with compost in, and stood them on a sunny
window ledge (sun! Hah) for a bit.

They seem to be fairly spindly and quite long, they are not growing
upwards
as I might expect as they're not strong enough to hold themselves up.

I do have a kind of greenhouse thing in the garden, it is a two storey
metal
frame affair covered with plastic. The temperature in there is sometimes
30C
when the sun is on it (measured over the last week and half) and sometimes
only half a degree above ambient.

My father thinks I should put them in there to "harden them up". My wife
(who
is a good gardener but never grows from seed) said that I should do that
because my dad said so (I don't think she's being fair).

What's the best way to proceed from here? The seedlings are about 5-6"
long
if stood up but very thin.

Help appreciated by someone new to seed!

--
remove stars for email
g*a*r*y*c*o*w*e*l*l*a*t*m*a*c*d*o*t*c*o*m

If SWMBO says do it then think of the consequences of disobedience:-)

Old 01-05-2006, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gary writes
On Mon, 1 May 2006 18:53:47 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
(in article ):

The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

If SWMBO says do it then think of the consequences of disobedience:-)

Just overheard on GQT:

"If a man is alone in the garden, out of earshot of his wife, talking
to himself...is he still wrong?"

Janet

She's been out and stuck 'em in the mini greenhouse anyway. Hoping they'll be
okay!

For the next couple of weeks, bring them back in overnight if the
weather forecast suggests it's going to be cold.
--
Kay