Old 20-11-2002, 11:47 AM
anurag

Default carbon sequestration

please tell me how to go about role of different management systems in
teak forests in carbon sequestration
Old 22-11-2002, 07:27 PM
David Wilson

###Replace#### the old trees with young, rapidly growing trees that
will remove large quantities of CO2 from the atmosphere to manufacture
carbohydrates like cellulose.

Larry, are you not saying "replace" old growth{which means chop down
and and manufacture?}...and replant young growth{which ignores the
role old growth play in bio-diversity}.

Carl Sagan estimated in 1997 that the amount of new growth required
was the size of the USA.

I'm just trying to be certain i've understood you.

David Wilson.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Larry Caldwell

Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:10:27 GMT

In article ,
writes:

Larry, are you not saying "replace" old growth{which means chop down
and and manufacture?}...and replant young growth{which ignores the
role old growth play in bio-diversity}.

If you want to sequester carbon, that's the procedure. I am also saying
that sequestering carbon in forests is junk science that won't work. It
is promoted as a way to allow nations to ignore the real problem of
fossil fuel consumption.

Bio-diversity is a separate issue. If you want to discuss it, you should
start a thread about it.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc