Old 25-01-2003, 07:40 PM
kate

Default Hackberry question

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but hackberries are abundant
where I live (middle TN) and I've been wondering about the growth that
some of them get on the lower truck. Some is so thick it reminds me of a
picture I've seen of prickly ash.

I'm wondering
1) What is it?
2) Why do some trees have it and not others near by?
3) What are some good references for finding out this kind of
information about different trees? (I have the Petersons Guide but I'm
looking for more detail.)

Kate

Old 25-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Don Staples

Those are cortical growths from the bark. No problem, and part of the
identifying characteristics of the species. The amount of these varies
dramatically from tree to tree, some are almost bare of them, others as you
described. A good Dendrology text from your nearest forestry school would
have what you want. Or check under dendrology at Amazon.com.

Old 25-01-2003, 11:07 PM
kate

Don Staples wrote:

Those are cortical growths from the bark. No problem, and part of the
identifying characteristics of the species. The amount of these varies
dramatically from tree to tree, some are almost bare of them, others as you
described. A good Dendrology text from your nearest forestry school would
have what you want. Or check under dendrology at Amazon.com.

Well, Amazon.com wasn't too productive but I've learned a new word and
while I'll bet the nearest forestry school is several hours away, I now
have something to keep in mind while searching. The library didn't have
what I'm looking for. Thanks for the answers! Amazing trees,
Hackberries. Am I right in guessing that they can merge together and
create one giant tree out of 4 smaller ones? Would that trait (if it
exists) be a regional occurance?

Old 25-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Clear Cut

In article ,
kate wrote:

3) What are some good references for finding out this kind of
information about different trees? (I have the Petersons Guide but I'm
looking for more detail.)

A favorite reference is Silvics (Forest Ecology) of North America online
at:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/si...f_contents.htm

A bit technical but lots of good information. It helps to know the
Latin name.

--
Due to SPAM filtering, please add NOSPAM
to email subject to improve your chances
Old 26-01-2003, 03:29 AM
kate

Clear Cut wrote:

In article ,
kate wrote:

3) What are some good references for finding out this kind of
information about different trees? (I have the Petersons Guide but I'm
looking for more detail.)

A favorite reference is Silvics (Forest Ecology) of North America online
at:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/si...f_contents.htm

A bit technical but lots of good information. It helps to know the
Latin name.

Thanks! Great site! I am learning Latin names - I've found it helps me
to say them with an Italian accent. Celtis occidentalis! (Although
they're only small-medium here when they're quite young. They grow like
weeds - this year I transplanted the yearlings out of my garden to the
wisteria jungle.)

Peace,

Kate

Old 26-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Don Staples

"kate" wrote in message

Hackberries. Am I right in guessing that they can merge together and
create one giant tree out of 4 smaller ones? Would that trait (if it
exists) be a regional occurance?

Many species can do this. Looked at Amazon and found 3 dendro texts, one I
have seems to have gotten VERY expensive. Shop around, I find them every
now and then in old bookstores.

Old 26-01-2003, 06:18 PM
kate

Don Staples wrote:

"kate" wrote in message

Hackberries. Am I right in guessing that they can merge together and
create one giant tree out of 4 smaller ones? Would that trait (if it
exists) be a regional occurance?

Many species can do this.

That is so cool. I'm loving learning about trees.

Looked at Amazon and found 3 dendro texts, one I
have seems to have gotten VERY expensive. Shop around, I find them every
now and then in old bookstores.

Do you like the really expensive one? I think there's a couple on ebay,
one recent, one from the 40's.
Old 26-01-2003, 11:49 PM
dstaples

The really expensive one was the one we had to have in school, yeah, I liked
it and still use it, but, maybe it was the same price equivalency back in
the '60's.

--
DS