Old 13-08-2005, 11:45 AM
PatC

Default Lilly Pilly Syzygium Leuhmannii

Hi
Can anyone tell me why the three plants I have that are now 3 - 4 yrs old &
stand about 2 metres tall, have never flowered/fruited?
They are very healthy otherwise & put out nice red shoots.
I have pruned them to try & make them a bit bushy, but have not cut so much
of the plant that it wouldn't grow back well.
Thanks in advance for any advice you may give.
Pat

Old 14-08-2005, 06:02 AM
Terry Collins

PatC wrote:
Hi
Can anyone tell me why the three plants I have that are now 3 - 4 yrs old &
stand about 2 metres tall, have never flowered/fruited?
They are very healthy otherwise & put out nice red shoots.
I have pruned them to try & make them a bit bushy, but have not cut so much
of the plant that it wouldn't grow back well.
Thanks in advance for any advice you may give.

2c guess They are probably too well fed or have continual aqequate
water. Some trees don't fruit until they are mature/well established.
Where are you located?

I don't know if we have S. leuhmannii or not, but ours was flowering and
fruiting from 1m and I am not adverse to knocking of flowers some years
if it seem to have too many. Fruit is nice and plump too, but not as
great as the much older one down the street (5M) that someone hacked out
recently. Of course, ours suffered from lack of water as it was the
native side of our garden and we tend to let that survive on natural
rain fall.

I wouldn't sweat on it. It might start flowering any time. It is the way
of natives.
Old 14-08-2005, 10:15 AM
PatC

Hi
Yes I have fed them from time to time, & they get watered weekly with grey
water from the rinse cycle of the washing machine.
BTW Live in Sydney.
I will just have be patient as you say

Old 15-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Doyley

PatC wrote:

Hi
Can anyone tell me why the three plants I have that are now 3 - 4 yrs

old &

stand about 2 metres tall, have never flowered/fruited?
They are very healthy otherwise & put out nice red shoots.

Hi,
Could the grey water have something to do with it too? Too much
nitrogen/phosphates or something for a native plant - so foliage is
promoted, but not flowers?

Old 09-09-2005, 12:29 PM
meee

off topic but has anyone made lilly pilly jelly? I made one pot last year,
using a standard recipe. it has a lovely colour, and distinctive, fresh
eucalyptus like flavour. Give it a go! the acid content is perfect for
jellies, and the colour surpasses many of the continental fruits! a
beautiful clear fuschia colour
Doyley wrote in message
.. .

PatC wrote:

Hi
Can anyone tell me why the three plants I have that are now 3 - 4 yrs

old &

stand about 2 metres tall, have never flowered/fruited?
They are very healthy otherwise & put out nice red shoots.

Hi,
Could the grey water have something to do with it too? Too much
nitrogen/phosphates or something for a native plant - so foliage is
promoted, but not flowers?

Syzgium Leuhmanni (Lilly Pilly) Flowers/Fruit PatC Australia 3 20-10-2006 10:28 PM
Syzygium Leuhmannii PatC Australia 2 27-06-2005 11:45 AM
Lilly pilly cole Australia 4 24-01-2004 06:12 AM
Lilly Pilly Surface Roots John & Angela Cran Australia 13 07-10-2003 10:31 PM
WTB(MELB) Cheap Lilly Pilly's Adam Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM