Old 18-09-2005, 10:25 PM
SG1

Default Back to the past

As a child living in Nth Central Victoria, there was a particular house I
used to walk past. They had this magnificent Pomegranate tree that always
seemed (well looking back that is) to be full of fruit. And of course being
8-9 years old did I resist NO WAY. Well to make a short story long, after
nearly 50 years I now have my own tree, planted it on Saturday. Hope they
still taste as great.
Jim

Old 20-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"SG1" wrote:

As a child living in Nth Central Victoria, there was a particular house I
used to walk past. They had this magnificent Pomegranate tree that always
seemed (well looking back that is) to be full of fruit. And of course being
8-9 years old did I resist NO WAY. Well to make a short story long, after
nearly 50 years I now have my own tree, planted it on Saturday. Hope they
still taste as great.

LOL, I picture you coming out and checking it every day to make sure you don't
miss a fruit!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 21-09-2005, 10:37 AM
ellipsis

In article , SG1
wrote:

As a child living in Nth Central Victoria, there was a particular house I
used to walk past. They had this magnificent Pomegranate tree that always
seemed (well looking back that is) to be full of fruit. And of course being
8-9 years old did I resist NO WAY. Well to make a short story long, after
nearly 50 years I now have my own tree, planted it on Saturday. Hope they
still taste as great

I have an enormous pomegranate tree in my backyard which produces an
abundance of fruit each summer - it always looks quite festive around
Christmas.

You are about the first person who I have found who has expressed much
interest in them. While they do look good, and the tree is quite
attractive, with beautiful bark, actually eating them is an exercise in
futility. A lot of large, bitter seeds, with a smallish amount of
delicately flavoured pulp around each, the whole lot encased and
permeated with highly bitter and adhering pith. You basically chew the
pulp off a mouthful of these seeds, then spit them out. Genuine
grenadine is made from juice extracted from the pulp, but there does
not seem to be much more that can be done with them.

If you have any hard paving under the tree you will need to harvest the
fruit before they fall, as they will shatter otherwise, throwing seeds
and pulp everywhere. The word Œgrenade¹ (as in Œsmall explosive device
which blasts small pieces of shrapnel everywhere¹) is actually derived
from the word Œpomegranate¹ for just this reason!

Don¹t get me wrong - it is a beautiful tree, and I went to great
lengths to retain it and work it into the design when I renovated the
house. But when it was planted thirty or more years ago, I do wish they
had had a yearning for a home grown mango or peach instead!

Old 21-09-2005, 11:29 AM
meee

ellipsis wrote in message
In article , SG1
wrote:

As a child living in Nth Central Victoria, there was a particular house

used to walk past. They had this magnificent Pomegranate tree that

always
seemed (well looking back that is) to be full of fruit. And of course

being
8-9 years old did I resist NO WAY. Well to make a short story long,

after
nearly 50 years I now have my own tree, planted it on Saturday. Hope

they
still taste as great

I have happy memories of pomegranates too...our presbyterian minister had a
pomegranate tree, we used to visit him and tasted the fruit once or
twice...it gave us a special thrill as kids as an 'authentic' bible fruit,
and we loved the 'game' of slowly sucking the flesh from the seeds...as you
said, it's also a very decorative tree...i'm thinking of bonsai-ing a
miniature one, for the loveliness of it.

Old 25-09-2005, 01:27 AM
John Savage

"SG1" writes:
As a child living in Nth Central Victoria, there was a particular house I
used to walk past. They had this magnificent Pomegranate tree that always
seemed (well looking back that is) to be full of fruit.

I thought the reason it would have been always laden with fruit was
because for the owners the novelty of eating pomegranates had wore off?

Pomes would be good eating except for all those seeds!

Old 16-10-2005, 02:48 AM
John Savage

ellipsis wrote:
I have an enormous pomegranate tree in my backyard which produces an
abundance of fruit each summer - it always looks quite festive around
Christmas.

You are about the first person who I have found who has expressed much
interest in them. While they do look good, and the tree is quite
attractive, with beautiful bark, actually eating them is an exercise in
futility. A lot of large, bitter seeds, with a smallish amount of
delicately flavoured pulp around each, the whole lot encased and
permeated with highly bitter and adhering pith. You basically chew the
pulp off a mouthful of these seeds, then spit them out. Genuine
grenadine is made from juice extracted from the pulp, but there does
not seem to be much more that can be done with them.

Now comes a science announcement that pomegranate juice is good for
the treatment of pancreatic cancer. The pink pomegranate juice stops the
growth of the cancer, I think they said. No doubt a google search will
turn up more information.

I'd be interested to learn how many teaspoons of juice they managed to
squeeze out of an ordinary 200g pomegranate! I wonder can any harm come
from swallowing the pips?

Old 16-10-2005, 04:21 AM
James McNangle

John Savage wrote:

I'd be interested to learn how many teaspoons of juice they managed to
squeeze out of an ordinary 200g pomegranate! I wonder can any harm come
from swallowing the pips?

Have just had a few days in Hong Kong, and there was a booklet in the hotel
bedroom describing the common tropical fruit. It stated that pomegranate seeds
are edible. I have never tried.

James McNangle
Old 17-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Chookie

In article ,
James McNangle wrote:

I'd be interested to learn how many teaspoons of juice they managed to
squeeze out of an ordinary 200g pomegranate! I wonder can any harm come
from swallowing the pips?

Have just had a few days in Hong Kong, and there was a booklet in the hotel
bedroom describing the common tropical fruit. It stated that pomegranate
seeds
are edible. I have never tried.

I've seen them in Central Asian recipes.