Old 15-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Nancy

Default Purple Cauli's

I have grown cauliflowers for years with great success.
This year they are all turning purple when they are about
half matured.
I wonder if anyone has any idea why.
cheers
Nancy

Old 16-10-2005, 02:02 AM
gardenlen

not sure nancy?

but could the developing flower head be getting too much direct sun on
it?

i find i need to tie the outer leaves up around the developing heads
like a bonnet so they stay nice and white, don't think the colouration
alters taste or dietry benefits at all though.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1
Old 17-10-2005, 01:16 AM
John Savage

"Nancy" writes:
I have grown cauliflowers for years with great success.
This year they are all turning purple when they are about
half matured.
I wonder if anyone has any idea why.

Are these from seedlings that you purchased? If so, they may be the
new novelty variety that really does bear purple hearts. Is the colour a
dark shade of purple, not just a pinkish tinge? Perhaps the nursery got
the labels mixed up.

Old 22-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Nancy

have tried tying the leaves also len but still they turn purple.
i was wondering if it was something in the fertilizer that I use.
I tried one the other night and they tasted the same.
cheers
nancy

Old 22-10-2005, 09:45 AM
HC

G'day Nancy

Woollies supermarket Fruit'nVeg (and I suppose others) has MiniCabs
(miniature cabbages) in both the 'normal' green and a lovely deep
purple......so I'm wondering if your Caulies are of a similar variety?

Force of habit sees me buying the green each time, but I should try one
of the purple ones to see if they taste any different? I presume the
colour wouldn't leach out during cooking? I quickly steam cabbage in
the M/wave.

Another thought......are your caulies getting more sun this year than
others? I'm wondering if this is bringing out the purple colour?
Coloured vegies look nice, don't they?

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 22-10-2005, 07:45 PM
gardenlen

g'day nancy,

could be don't know? i don't use man made fertilisers just green
mulching and some kitchen scraps along with composted material from
the drop toilet and grey water and night water.

snipped

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1

Cauli and broad bean problems Lintama United Kingdom 26 11-07-2011 12:45 AM
Crocus Barr's Purple ramyad Gardening 0 04-04-2009 04:10 AM
Purple flower 3 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:01 AM
Purple flower 2 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:00 AM
Cauli Romanesco Veronica La Puce United Kingdom 22 07-11-2006 07:30 PM