Old 04-11-2006, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cauli Romanesco Veronica

Having a go at these next year. Any tips some of you might have, beside
treating it like an ordinary white cauli, would be appreciated )

Old 04-11-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
Having a go at these next year. Any tips some of you might have, beside
treating it like an ordinary white cauli, would be appreciated )

I bought one at the Lidl last week......I like it but Leo reckoned it tasted
weird !
No idea how difficult they are to grow.....
Jenny

Old 04-11-2006, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
I bought one at the Lidl last week......I like it but Leo reckoned it tasted
weird !
No idea how difficult they are to grow.....

Like cauliflowers but I wondered if there was something else. They are
best raw dunked in dips.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

They are easy to grow

Do not let them stand to long they go off quickly

Lovely to eat though

.........................Leslie

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 04-11-2006, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
That causes flatulence

Thank you Doctor.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
That causes flatulence

Thank you Doctor.

My diagnosis is not to be sniffed at.

Which reminds me I wanted to grow some flageolet beans... Now, where am
I going to find these?!

Old 05-11-2006, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Martin wrote:
That causes flatulence
Thank you Doctor.

My diagnosis is not to be sniffed at.

Which reminds me I wanted to grow some flageolet beans... Now, where am
I going to find these?!

http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au...Flageolet.html
Suppliers near the bottom of the page :~))
Jenny

Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Which reminds me I wanted to grow some flageolet beans... Now, where am
I going to find these?!

http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au...Flageolet.html
Suppliers near the bottom of the page :~))

You're a gem. Though the only place I could find them (and not to be
purchase by the ton) is in the States! Surely I can find them closer
than that. I must be ....

Old 05-11-2006, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 La Puce wrote:

JennyC wrote:
Which reminds me I wanted to grow some flageolet beans... Now, where am
I going to find these?!

http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au...Flageolet.html
Suppliers near the bottom of the page :~))

You're a gem. Though the only place I could find them (and not to be
purchase by the ton) is in the States! Surely I can find them closer
than that. I must be ....

I've seen them for sale in the supermarkets in France!

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 05-11-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
Don't they find them in France? Aren't they the beans used in a
cassoulet?

Yes - find lots of dried beans not seeds! I usually find what I want
but this time it's seems very difficult. It's quite strange.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:
I've seen them for sale in the supermarkets in France!

I brought lots of seeds back, I always do but this time I want
flageolets, french ones not americans, nor mexican!! I think I'll call
a member of my family or wait till I return to france. It's just that
I've bought a few seeds on line recently and I thought flageolets would
be easy to find.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

David Rance wrote:
I've seen them for sale in the supermarkets in France!

I brought lots of seeds back, I always do but this time I want
flageolets, french ones not americans, nor mexican!! I think I'll call
a member of my family or wait till I return to france. It's just that
I've bought a few seeds on line recently and I thought flageolets would
be easy to find.

Thomas Etty has beans he describes as Chevrier Vert or Groene Flageolet
and says they originated in Bretigny in 1878

Any good?

http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/vegetables/seeds_beans.pdf

Janet G
Old 06-11-2006, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Galpin wrote:
Thomas Etty has beans he describes as Chevrier Vert or Groene Flageolet
and says they originated in Bretigny in 1878
Any good?
http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/vegetables/seeds_beans.pdf

Thank you so so much!! Chevrier vert is just perfect ) I can't
beleive I just wouldn't find something closer to home. They even got
the Monstrueux de Carentan - a huge leek which I remember as a kid,
just called Monstrueux because I thought they were ugly and they were
as big as I was, and it's even organic!

This has made my day considering I'm at home again today waiting for
yet another gang of chaps to look at our drains with camera and noisy
machinery .... ((

Old 06-11-2006, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
and cassoulet uses
white haricot beans
or
white cannellini beans
or
ingot beans
Depending on the recipe.

I've made cassoulet perhaps 3 times in my life. Takes long to do and I
seem to never do enough )) I've used white haricot beans but never
heard of ingot beans. What are these? African?

Romanesco Broccoli Update Pavel314[_2_] Edible Gardening 2 04-01-2013 11:53 PM
Cauli and broad bean problems Lintama United Kingdom 26 11-07-2011 12:45 AM
Lovely Veronica Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 3 30-03-2009 12:32 AM
Purple Cauli's Nancy Australia 5 22-10-2005 07:45 PM
Veronica question clipster Gardening 0 07-07-2003 02:56 PM