Old 22-10-2005, 09:26 AM
HC

Default Daphne shoot on exposed root

G'day all

I have a Daphne Odorata growing near a paling fence with a southern
aspect and while it's doing well, I know they have a history of carking
it for no apparent reason. A few days ago I noticed twin shoots coming
from an exposed root, so I'm wondering if anyone has had success in
severing a shoot such as these two...I suspect they'd have to be taken
as one due to their close proximity to each other.

Your thoughts or suggestions please? If you don't think severing this
shoot will be successful, then I'll might try striking some
cuttings....anyone had success here?

Thanks in advance
Bronwyn ;-)
Old 26-10-2005, 02:32 AM
Jen

"HC" wrote in message
G'day all

I have a Daphne Odorata growing near a paling fence with a southern aspect
and while it's doing well, I know they have a history of carking it for no
apparent reason. A few days ago I noticed twin shoots coming from an
exposed root, so I'm wondering if anyone has had success in severing a
shoot such as these two...I suspect they'd have to be taken as one due to
their close proximity to each other.

Your thoughts or suggestions please? If you don't think severing this
shoot will be successful, then I'll might try striking some
cuttings....anyone had success here?

Cuttings would work fine. I've heard the best time to take Daphne cuttings
is Christmas Day. I think anytime in Spring/Summer should be fine.

I think the main problem that they have is rootrot. Just be careful not to
overwater.

--
Jen

Old 26-10-2005, 05:54 AM
HC

Thanks Jen....had never heard of Xmas Day previously, but there are lots
of indicators like that, aren't there?

The Daphne won't rot where it is currently planted....the bed is raised
about 500mm above ground level, a good location for anything fussy about
wet feet.

Bronwyn ;-)