Old 06-12-2005, 10:52 PM posted to aus.gardens
Cynthia

Default Roof garden advice required

I live in Sydney and we have a north and a west facing balcony. It's a large
space which is completely tiled. In the morning it's in total shade, but
from midday it's sunny and HOT. We have just moved here and there are no
plants yet, there is a metal framed pergola, which I would like to grow
something over so that we can sit and eat in the shade beneath it. On windy
days it is very blustery and there doesn't seem to be any spot which escapes
the wind.

I've been reading up a little on roof gardens, but only enough to understand
that one has to make careful choices about the type of plants to grow on a
roof garden as plants are so exposed. If there's anyone out there with
experience of roof gardens, I'd be very happy to hear from you.

My main aim is to get a variety of colour and shapes.

I'd like to grow:

* 2 to 3 small potted trees. Max height around 220 cm including the pot they
stand in.
* Some herbs for use in the kitchen.
* A west facing screen of plants which needs to be between 120 cm and 190 cm
in height (including the pot they stand in). They would run alongside a
balcony wall which is approx 95 cm high and around 10 m long. I would need
some plants which were useful for their height to block the wind and to
provide some shade, and also some smaller plants which would sit at the
front providing some contrast to the taller plants behind them. I'm keen to
find a few plants which would trail over the edge of the pots, softening the
hard edges.

* A pretty plant to grow on the pergola. Something which can be easily
managed, preferably something which flowers, but I'm keen not to attract too
may insects as we will be eating under the pergola. Butterflies are fine,
but I need to keep away wasps, spiders and general creepy crawlies which may
drop down our backs or into the food. I have never done this, is it possible
to combine the two? (eating under a pergola which has plants on it, without
the bugs).

* There is also a section of north facing balcony which is a glass, about
150 cm in height and 5 m long AND a very narrow section of wall to the east
which is about 190 cm tall, 2.5 m long.

* I'm keen to mix plants, using both native and non-invasive foreign
species.

* So far there are no cats around, so I'd like to encourage small native
birds and butterflies.

* If anyone can give me advice for keeping down the number of spiders in a
friendly way, that would be great too.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:55 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
"Cynthia" wrote:

I live in Sydney and we have a north and a west facing balcony.

snip

I'd like to grow:

* 2 to 3 small potted trees. Max height around 220 cm including the pot they
stand in.

Whatever you choose, make them all the same.

* Some herbs for use in the kitchen.
* A west facing screen of plants which needs to be between 120 cm and 190 cm
in height (including the pot they stand in). They would run alongside a
balcony wall which is approx 95 cm high and around 10 m long. I would need
some plants which were useful for their height to block the wind and to
provide some shade, and also some smaller plants which would sit at the
front providing some contrast to the taller plants behind them. I'm keen to
find a few plants which would trail over the edge of the pots, softening the
hard edges.

I'd be inclined to use Coast Rosemary (Westringia fruticosa) -- very tough and
useful for hedging. Trendy grey foliage and small white flowers, so easy to
use as a backdrop. Your herb collection could be the trailing plants.

* A pretty plant to grow on the pergola. Something which can be easily
managed, preferably something which flowers, but I'm keen not to attract too
may insects as we will be eating under the pergola. Butterflies are fine,
but I need to keep away wasps, spiders and general creepy crawlies which may
drop down our backs or into the food. I have never done this, is it possible
to combine the two? (eating under a pergola which has plants on it, without
the bugs).

You want plants, you get bugs. You get bugs, you get their predators, who
would prefer not to be on your food or down your back.

Passionfruit? Bower of beauty?

* There is also a section of north facing balcony which is a glass, about
150 cm in height and 5 m long AND a very narrow section of wall to the east
which is about 190 cm tall, 2.5 m long.

A good spot for one of your trees!

* I'm keen to mix plants, using both native and non-invasive foreign
species.

* So far there are no cats around, so I'd like to encourage small native
birds and butterflies.

* If anyone can give me advice for keeping down the number of spiders in a
friendly way, that would be great too.

Plastic plants. Why are you so worried about spiders? Leave them alone and
they'll eat your mozzies. Besides, it's fascinating watching them spinning
their websz.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
Cynthia

Hi Chookie,

Thanks for the tips. I will look these plants up.

I don't mind most insects, but having been stung by scorpions 4 times as a
kid I don't feel so lucky. Between me and my husband I seem to have the most
encounters with Aussie spiders. No bites yet, they just pop up in surprising
places. I spent 20 yrs in the UK which might explain some of it, not much to
bite you over there.

So you think that having three different trees will look scruffy?

Cynthia.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:30 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
"Cynthia" wrote:

So you think that having three different trees will look scruffy?

There is a concept in all arts called rhythm, and if I've understood
correctly, it amounts to repetition. In a small space, three very different
but equally prominent trees look like they've just been plonked in. Three of
the same species give unity to the area. Of course you could use three citrus
trees -- they're probably similar enough to give rhythm.

Old 13-12-2005, 02:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
Cynthia

There is a concept in all arts called rhythm, and if I've understood
correctly, it amounts to repetition. In a small space, three very
different
but equally prominent trees look like they've just been plonked in. Three
of
the same species give unity to the area. Of course you could use three
citrus
trees -- they're probably similar enough to give rhythm.

I imagine that one could probably get away with three different trees if one
was experienced enough to understand which combinations work together -
since that's not me, I appreciate your advice on how to make a more
successful mix!

I had a look at the Bower of Beauty. It looks like an interesting plant,
very close to what I imagined growing up the pergola - large white flowers
and a tropical feel.

I might take a look at the smaller varieties of Frangipani, for plants which
can take the heat in general. Apparently there are some evergreen varieties
out there.

C.

Old 13-12-2005, 09:52 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1

"Cynthia" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Roof garden
First select a nice cave.

Old 16-12-2005, 10:35 PM posted to aus.gardens
Cynthia

Roof garden
First select a nice cave.

eh?

Is that a comment on roof gardens or my IQ?

We have a lovley cave and a terrace with lots of potential.

Thank you .

Ug.