Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

Default Sick proteas

I have quite a few proteas which are in poor shape. They are grown
from seed sourced locally (in the illawarra) from clay/loam soil and
sandstone soil. Not all plants are affected, but many are. The
symptoms are yellow and stunted growth. They are in a medium of
clay/loam soil mixed with 20% coir and 10% sand and perlite mix. A
picture is at:

http://www.speedlink.com.au/users/kd21/sick-plants.jpg

Any suggestions as to what's wrong, or remidies greatly appreciated.

--
Replace abuse with kd21 in email address to assure valid reply
address.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
J & A Haig

Oh Holy One,

in the absence of any more enlightened reply, I've a few pointers. Btw, are
these "proteas" exotic, eg nursery trade "natives" from S. Africa, or real
native proteaceous plants, eg. Banksias, Hakeas, etc? The following tips
are general for proteaceous plants anyway:

1. Firstly, knock a few plants out and inspect the root ball. Is it
overcrowded or badly kinked or round and round the ball; the mix dried out
or full of ants or worms or curl grubs; can you see fine fanned whitish
structures on the roots (the proteoid roots from whence the family name
derives); is it just a big gluggy pasty lump? All of these point to a poor
potting mix or infrequent watering or poor potting practice. Suggest
removing any pests and repotting in a more open mix (cheap commercial
potting mix is fine - I usually use stuff that is about $2 for 25L). Most
proteaceous plants refer well drained soil, despite the fact yours appear to
be derived from a clayey area.

2. Proteaceous plants commonly suffer iron deficiency chlorosis (lack of
green in the leaves). You can get iron chelate from any nursery/hardware and
apply according to directions. If the leaves green up in a week, that was
the problem.

3. A lot of people underfeed their proteaceous plants for fear of dreaded
phosphorous toxicity - your pix don't appear to show P toxicity. To check
yours for underfeeding, apply a high N (maybe 15-25%N), low P (less than
3%P) soluble fertiliser (often sold as 'suitable for natives') according to
directions. If the leaves green up in a week, that was the problem.

As mark Twain once said,"I'd love to tell you more, but I've already told
you more than I know."

Good luck, Jim

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

In article , J & A Haig wrote:
Oh Holy One,

in the absence of any more enlightened reply, I've a few pointers. Btw, are
these "proteas" exotic, eg nursery trade "natives" from S. Africa, or real
native proteaceous plants, eg. Banksias, Hakeas, etc? The following tips
are general for proteaceous plants anyway:

These are real native proteas sourced from local seed.

1. Firstly, knock a few plants out and inspect the root ball. Is it
overcrowded or badly kinked or round and round the ball; the mix dried out
or full of ants or worms or curl grubs; can you see fine fanned whitish
structures on the roots (the proteoid roots from whence the family name
derives); is it just a big gluggy pasty lump? All of these point to a poor
potting mix or infrequent watering or poor potting practice. Suggest
removing any pests and repotting in a more open mix (cheap commercial
potting mix is fine - I usually use stuff that is about $2 for 25L). Most
proteaceous plants refer well drained soil, despite the fact yours appear to
be derived from a clayey area.

The Banksia integrifolia doesn't produce proteoid roots. I think I
see evidence of such in the grevillias. We prepare our potting mix
very carefully (we have 2 acres to plant on a small budget so we have
a lot of plants) with plenty of additives to open the structure out

2. Proteaceous plants commonly suffer iron deficiency chlorosis (lack of
green in the leaves). You can get iron chelate from any nursery/hardware and
apply according to directions. If the leaves green up in a week, that was
the problem.

I'll try this out. I don't understand quite why it doesn't affect all
individuals from a batch. Maybe it's genetics.

As mark Twain once said,"I'd love to tell you more, but I've already told
you more than I know."

Good luck, Jim

Cheers

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish wrote:

in the absence of any more enlightened reply, I've a few pointers. Btw, are
these "proteas" exotic, eg nursery trade "natives" from S. Africa, or real
native proteaceous plants, eg. Banksias, Hakeas, etc? The following tips
are general for proteaceous plants anyway:

These are real native proteas sourced from local seed.

There are no native proteas.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Once long ago, against her breast, a mother hush'd a babe to rest
Who was the Prince of heav'n above, the Lord of gentleness and love...
John Wheeler, 'The Silver Stars are in the Sky'
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

In article ehrebeniuk-6E5920.21061401012003@news, Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish wrote:
These are real native proteas sourced from local seed.

There are no native proteas.

You'll have to tell that to Volume 5(?) of the flora of Australia
then. There are no native Proteaceae in the genus Protea in Australia, but
Australia has the most diverse collection of plants in the family
Proteaceae of all the contintents. One of the proteaceae even makes
it into the emblem of one of the states.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
dave

There are no native Proteaceae in the genus Protea in
Australia

Do you mean there are native proteas in another family in Australia???
I'll think youll find that there are no native proteas in the pure sense,
the closest youll find is the telopea sp. But really, isnt classifaction
a un-natural clumping of species into genus into family?

David

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish wrote:

There are no native proteas.

You'll have to tell that to Volume 5(?) of the flora of Australia
then. There are no native Proteaceae in the genus Protea in Australia, but
Australia has the most diverse collection of plants in the family
Proteaceae of all the contintents. One of the proteaceae even makes
it into the emblem of one of the states.

Just because Proteas are Proteaceae does not mean that all Proteaceae are
Proteas!

And it's my state, of course.