Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Old and Cranky

Default Mangoes

I have a small mango tree with a rapidly reducing number of mangos. The
mangoes are not yey ripe, but already the possums have eaten about three
quarters of the crop. The amngoes are reddening on the top.

Can they be picked at this stage, and left to ripen inside?

TIA

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
freebird

best to leave them on the tree. Can you put a net over it?
Also, if you put a metal barrier around the trunk (like a collar)
of the tree the possum won't be able to climb it. That's what
they use in some Melbourne parks to keep them out.

freebird

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Teddy

If it's just one tree and you can reach, spray the mangoes with chilli water
made by boiling a few really hot chillis then straining the water. Possums
hate it and it will do no harm to the mangoes.
Ted

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Peter and Susan

"Teddy" wrote in message
news
If it's just one tree and you can reach, spray the mangoes with chilli
water
made by boiling a few really hot chillis then straining the water. Possums
hate it and it will do no harm to the mangoes.
Ted

Will that also help with crows?

I've got a couple who have decided my mangos are delicious. I don't mind
sharing with them, but they tend to only eat half a mango and leave the
other half to rot.

Susan
Gold Coast

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Teddy

No experience with crows, I'm afraid.
I expect it would be less effective since the crow would be able to peck
through the skin without needing to taste the chilli.
But you could try and let us know what happens.
Ted

"Peter and Susan" wrote in message

news

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Old and Cranky

I think I have now answered my original question. I picked a mango when it
had just started to redden, although still really hard. Now 8 days later it
was ripe. Why "was"? I ate it and it was delicious!

Out now to pick the remaining green mangoes!

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Match

mangoes can be picked, when the inside is " butter " colour.
Up here in north QLD, once thee is blush, fruit can be picked in 4 weeks.

Match

mangoes John Savage Australia 2 20-07-2006 08:05 PM
Can you eat mangoes if they have anthracnose? C Australia 2 02-07-2005 09:54 PM
Mangoes in Perth. Grae Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Mangoes Grae Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Mangoes Match Australia 0 06-03-2003 11:51 AM