Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Tom Elliott

Default snapdragon seeds not viable

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:47:37 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

Each snapdragon flower develops a seedpod containing hundreds of seeds.
I saved some of the seeds, and planted them. Not one came up. I repeated
the exercise, three times, with not a single success. I have grown
snapdragons from both packet seeds and seedlings, with neither making any
mention of the word "hybrid" on their label--so I fully expected that I
would be harvesting viable seeds. (I even dreamed of going into the seed
production business!)

Can anyone suggest why these seeds are not viable? And more importantly,
does anyone have success in germinating snapdragons from their own saved
seed? If so, what variety? One of those I grew was Tetra Mixed.

I have a snapdragon which self seeded, and it is probably the
healthiest one I've ever seen. This is despite the fact that it's
growing between some bricks, and I've never watered it. Obviously
some seeds must be viable, though I've no idea where this snap dragon
came from. It's a beautiful burgundy colour. I've left it alone
because it's so attractive!

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.