Old 08-04-2003, 07:20 AM
telstra

Default Cheap, simple, and indestructible PVC watering system idea

Great idea -simple but I think roots would grow to the holes and block them
unless pipe is on top of the gound-paint green and you won't see the
pipes.alternatively put stocking or fine mesh over outside before burying
but will prob rot.
stan

"Yau-ming Chiam" wrote in message
Hi,

One of my apartment blocks has a small garden bed (12 feet long) that, due
to its location, would make it too expensive to install a conventional
watering system. One quote was for $800.

The caretaker only comes once a week to perform his duties which includes
watering the garden with a hose for 15 minutes. Its not enough and by
mid-week the soil has dried and the plants suffer. (The garden's plants

are
mainly the peace lily variety.) - btw, I don't live at the apartment.

I thought a simple, almost invisible, and cost-effective solution was to
make a watering system made out of old PVC pipes (10cm diameter).

You drill holes into the PVC pipes then plant them into the soil and cover
it up. All the ends are sealed except for one - a T joint or elbow joint -
which slightly protrudes out of the ground. All is needed is for the
caretaker to fill the pipe up with water which will slowly leak into the
soil, keep it moist, and water the plants.

The total cost is about $100.

What do you think?

Cheers!

Yau-ming

(PS. The rest of the people living there don't care about the garden and
don't touch it. I live an hrs drive away from the place so I can't take

care
of it)

Old 09-04-2003, 01:45 AM
Yau-ming

"telstra" wrote in message
Great idea -simple but I think roots would grow to the holes and block

them
unless pipe is on top of the gound-paint green and you won't see the
pipes.alternatively put stocking or fine mesh over outside before burying
but will prob rot.
stan

Thanks Stan,

I guess a simpler idea would be to use the "aggi" pipe instead of the PVC.
Its a flexible, black plastic perforated tubing. Its got more holes in it
and might solve the problem you mentioned.