Old 24-06-2007, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bay tree - indestructible!!!

Two years ago I trimmed our overgrown bay tree with a bow saw. There was one
nice straight off-cut around four feet long and three inches diameter. This
"post" was left bone-dry in the garage for six months then I sharpened one
end and hammered it into a hole and screwed the name plate for out house to
it. Today - a year and a half after bashing it into the hole, the post has
started putting out shoots of new growth!!! I'm gob smacked!

Is it likely to have rooted?

David.

Old 24-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Two years ago I trimmed our overgrown bay tree with a bow saw. There was
one nice straight off-cut around four feet long and three inches diameter.
This "post" was left bone-dry in the garage for six months then I
sharpened one end and hammered it into a hole and screwed the name plate
for out house to it. Today - a year and a half after bashing it into the
hole, the post has started putting out shoots of new growth!!! I'm gob
smacked!

Is it likely to have rooted?

Well, you could say it's a sign of life{:-)
Graham

Old 25-06-2007, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Two years ago I trimmed our overgrown bay tree with a bow saw. There was
one nice straight off-cut around four feet long and three inches diameter.
This "post" was left bone-dry in the garage for six months then I
sharpened one end and hammered it into a hole and screwed the name plate
for out house to it. Today - a year and a half after bashing it into the
hole, the post has started putting out shoots of new growth!!! I'm gob
smacked!

Is it likely to have rooted?

*YOU* are ALLAH!
You have resurrected life.

Alternatively..................BURN IT!

I *hate* Bay with a vengeance (Culinarily).

rant over

Old 25-06-2007, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

R wrote:

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Two years ago I trimmed our overgrown bay tree with a bow saw. There was
one nice straight off-cut around four feet long and three inches diameter.
This "post" was left bone-dry in the garage for six months then I
sharpened one end and hammered it into a hole and screwed the name plate
for out house to it. Today - a year and a half after bashing it into the
hole, the post has started putting out shoots of new growth!!! I'm gob
smacked!

Is it likely to have rooted?

*YOU* are ALLAH!
You have resurrected life.

Alternatively..................BURN IT!

I *hate* Bay with a vengeance (Culinarily).

But it gives a delightful flavour to casseroles, stews etc. I wouldn't
be without it.
Old 25-06-2007, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Two years ago I trimmed our overgrown bay tree with a bow saw. There was
one nice straight off-cut around four feet long and three inches
diameter. This "post" was left bone-dry in the garage for six months then
I sharpened one end and hammered it into a hole and screwed the name
plate for out house to it. Today - a year and a half after bashing it
into the hole, the post has started putting out shoots of new growth!!!
I'm gob smacked!

Is it likely to have rooted?

*YOU* are ALLAH!
You have resurrected life.

Alternatively..................BURN IT!

I *hate* Bay with a vengeance (Culinarily).

rant over

I suppose I could sell it on "eBay" !

David.

Old 25-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David \(Normandy\) View Post
Two years ago I trimmed our overgrown bay tree with a bow saw. This
"post" was left bone-dry in the garage for six months then I sharpened one
end and hammered it into a hole and screwed the name plate for out house to
it. Today - a year and a half after bashing it into the hole, the post has
started putting out shoots of new growth!!!
David, that's a wonderful story, I know that willow will grow like anything, but I've never heard of Bay doing the same thing! Any chance of a photo?
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales

Cheap, simple, and indestructible PVC watering system idea telstra Australia 1 09-04-2003 01:45 AM
Any Indestructible hand tools? Joe Doe Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
bay tree compost papa United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 02:47 PM
Laurel Nobilis - Bay tree Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 02:06 PM
Non gardener needs help with bay tree Steve Drake United Kingdom 1 15-01-2003 06:08 PM