Old 13-04-2006, 11:44 PM posted to aus.gardens
Barry Ward

Default Killing Tiger lillies??

I have a large area which is covered with what I would call "Tiger Lillies".
They grow from some kind of underground rhizome and are a bit like bamboo,
in the way that they spread.

Cutting them down only causes them to reshoot with increased vigour - the
ground is hard clay, so digging them is not an option.

Poison??

Thanks for any help

Barry

Old 14-04-2006, 06:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC

G'day Barry

I guess Glyphosate, but it seems a shame to kill them......suppose
that's your only option if they are a pest though!

What colour are they? I was always told that Tiger's were Orange and the
similar pink ones were called something else.....that theory could be
completely wrong too!! Will have to check my books. They are
beautiful blooms.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 14-04-2006, 10:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Barry Ward wrote:

I have a large area which is covered with what I would call "Tiger
Lillies".
They grow from some kind of underground rhizome and are a bit like
bamboo,
in the way that they spread.

Cutting them down only causes them to reshoot with increased vigour -
the
ground is hard clay, so digging them is not an option.

Poison??

Thanks for any help

Barry

Tiger lilies are called that because of the orange and spotted flowers.
They are tough too.
The standard weed killer will work. Best time to kill is spring time
with plenty of sunshine.
Keep running the mower over em and hitting them with weed killer when
they sprout.. Glyco is the best.

Old 20-04-2006, 10:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen

g'day barry,

if you don't want to use glypho" etc.,. just cut them off low and paint the
cuts with kero' too easy.

len

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1/

snipped

Old 21-04-2006, 12:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

gardenlen wrote:
g'day barry,

if you don't want to use glypho" etc.,. just cut them off low and paint the
cuts with kero' too easy.

len

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1/

snipped

That can poison the soil though...

Old 22-04-2006, 04:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen

nup jonno,

just brushing it onto the cut stems won't, or you can spray it on the
cut stems, i use it to kill paspalum crowns in lawns just dob a bit in
the crown and the plant dies and the good grass grows over the top of
it.

len

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1
Old 22-04-2006, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

gardenlen wrote:
nup jonno,

just brushing it onto the cut stems won't, or you can spray it on the
cut stems, i use it to kill paspalum crowns in lawns just dob a bit in
the crown and the plant dies and the good grass grows over the top of
it.

len

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1

Great . Will try it too.

Algae Killing my Lillies? [email protected] Ponds 8 31-07-2005 06:03 AM
Tiger lillies... Pondable?? Gareee© Ponds 3 24-05-2005 05:01 AM
Growth of Tiger Lotus kush Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
tiger head and parts johnnny Ponds 9 15-03-2003 08:08 PM
tiger lotus rhizome/runners/???? Daniel Whiting Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 26-02-2003 10:13 PM