Old 27-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Registered User

Default Bay Tree Problems

Hello,
I am not exactly sure what type of tree I have but I have been told it is a variety of Bay Tree. I have found it impossible over the last few years to get rid of the little shoots that come up from around the base of the tree.
Is there anything I can try to get rid of these things?
Thanks,
Sean
Old 28-05-2006, 04:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen

g'day sean,

mmm that's going to be a bit hard to control about all you can do is
rub then off as they appear, don't know much about bay trees never
heard this prob' before maybe it isn't a bay???

when we buy grafted fruit trees we get these shoots coming from below
the graft so all we do is rub then off while they are little but
eventually as the tree gets bigger the shoots stop coming.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/gardenlen2/
Old 28-05-2006, 11:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
GOW

Hi Sean,

Yes Bay does throw up suckers. If they are small try tearing them off
rather than cutting them. Tearing them strips the bark on the roots and
takes some of the buds with it which lessens the problem (never give a
sucker an even break I say).

If they are too large for that try digging down to find the root causing the
problem and cut it off as close to the trunk as possible. Smash up the cut
face of the root as much as possible to prevent it shooting. Then you are
back to tearing off any small shoots as they arise.

If you are a little more brave you could try using some weedkiller (roundup
for example) on the shoots. You may knock the tree back a little but Bay is
so tough I reckon it will recover and as Rounduop is non toxic to humans you
can still use the leaves (from the rest of the tree that is).

Next is the chainsaw option.

Cheers
WOW.

"Sean F" wrote in message

Hello,
I am not exactly sure what type of tree I have but I have been told it
is a variety of Bay Tree. I have found it impossible over the last few
years to get rid of the little shoots that come up from around the base
of the tree.
Is there anything I can try to get rid of these things?
Thanks,
Sean

--
Sean F

Novice gardener purchased bay/goji/rosemary and already having problems help please commando United Kingdom 11 31-10-2009 09:21 AM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
bay tree compost papa United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 02:47 PM
Laurel Nobilis - Bay tree Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 02:06 PM
Non gardener needs help with bay tree Steve Drake United Kingdom 1 15-01-2003 06:08 PM