Old 23-07-2006, 01:08 AM posted to aus.gardens
Gap

Default Natural pest control "Brenesseljauche" in Australia?

Hi to all aussi gardeners,
I have a question regarding pest control eg. aphids on roses.
My mother is from germany and she told me to use "Brennessel" which is
the plant/ leaf of a very comon plant in europe mixed in water and let
it set for a while.
I haven't found this plant here in Perth and wonder if it exists in
Australia. It is a green leafy plant a weed in europe and it stings
when it is touched with the bare skin. Unfortunately I don't know the
englisch name but people from the UK will know it. It gives a bad rash
for a while and the water mix will smell pretty bad too.
But it is a fertiliser for the plants and gets rid of al the bugs.

Can anyone tell me the englisch name and /or weather it is known in
Australia?
Thanks in advance
Gabi

Old 23-07-2006, 04:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
ant

Gap wrote:
Hi to all aussi gardeners,
I have a question regarding pest control eg. aphids on roses.
My mother is from germany and she told me to use "Brennessel" which is
the plant/ leaf of a very comon plant in europe mixed in water and let
it set for a while.
I haven't found this plant here in Perth and wonder if it exists in
Australia. It is a green leafy plant a weed in europe and it stings
when it is touched with the bare skin. Unfortunately I don't know the
englisch name but people from the UK will know it. It gives a bad rash
for a while and the water mix will smell pretty bad too.
But it is a fertiliser for the plants and gets rid of al the bugs.

Can anyone tell me the englisch name and /or weather it is known in
Australia?
Thanks in advance
Gabi

Sounded like Stinging Nettles from your description. A google search seems
to indicate that, also. You can even buy it in powder form for use against
pests etc.

--
ant