Old 12-12-2004, 06:20 PM
aggiecon

Default Keeping a natural area, natural

I had a customer this summer who has a new home in a new subdivision
near me in rural Oklahoma. His property includes about 1 acre in the
back that is undisturbed. He has asked me whether this area is
sufficient for a natural area, and I told him I wasn't sure whether the
pressures of development in the area would overwhelm his native
flora/fauna. Are there guidelines for this? How should he proceed?

Old 13-12-2004, 06:17 PM

I would suggest doing a little reading into permaculture, with an
emphasis on native plants and micro-niches. An example of this line of
thought would be: "what different kinds of habitats were there in the
area of the subdivision, and which micro-habitats can I replicate and
maintain access for native species to."

Old 13-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Roger Whitehead

Nature's processes get to work in something as small as an eggcup, so an
acre's plenty to set up some sort of nature reserve. What does your
customer have in a mind - meadow, woodland, marsh, scrub?

Roger

Putting an existing "natural area" into production TriangleGuy Gardening 3 17-01-2007 11:21 PM
Keeping a bit natural in KY Lee Murray alt.forestry 0 30-08-2003 11:42 PM
natural area Lance R. North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Bright Leaf State Natural Area Open House Sunday N. Woolley Texas 1 26-04-2003 05:20 PM
natural area Lance R. North Carolina 4 03-04-2003 09:45 PM