Old 15-08-2006, 01:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default giant corn

Im looking for the largest corn I can get. Im really not into the sweet
corn hybrids and prefer the maize type eating corn. In particular corn
with largest kernal size. I would love to get my hands on peru gian
corn that has kernals 15mm wide!

been looking everywhere for seeds, any advice or seeds welcome.
http://img.alibaba.com/img/product/1...9/11140932.jpg

Old 16-08-2006, 01:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

"lentildude" wrote in message
oups.com...
Im looking for the largest corn I can get. Im really not into the
sweet
corn hybrids and prefer the maize type eating corn. In particular
corn
with largest kernal size. I would love to get my hands on peru gian
corn that has kernals 15mm wide!

been looking everywhere for seeds, any advice or seeds welcome.
http://img.alibaba.com/img/product/1...9/11140932.jpg

Interesting. Let us know if you find where to get hold of it.

I'm looking for a deep-rooted dry climate corn to
do some selective breeding with since water is
becoming so scarce.

So far Navaho Blue Corn seems to be amongst
the hardiest & most deeply rooted - now I need
to find a local source for the authentic genetics.

Old 16-08-2006, 04:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

and while we're at it, anyone know of giant bean stalks?
Old 16-08-2006, 10:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

"ushere" wrote in message
and while we're at it, anyone know of giant bean stalks?

my friend jack had one - it's not there now. you would not BELIEVE the story
he told about what happened to it...!!
kylie

Old 16-08-2006, 12:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default giant corn deep rooted

Hi, where did you get the navaho blue corn?? Id like to try deep
rooted corn too as my
dam is almost dry. What does it look/taste like?

Navaho Blue Produces a superior blue corn flour. A Navaho variety
http://www.heirloomseed.com/corn.htm
no pic - are the cobs normal yellow looking??

I contacted seed savers and this is their heirloom corn list;

Corn Maize/Sweet/Pop
112 CA Balinese Sweet Corn 96
825 DA Multicoloured Aztec Maize 98
1813 C Yellow Dent Maize 06
2035 A Aztec Maize 100% 98
2671 B Indian Corn 100% 96
3031 Balinese Sweet Corn 91% 96
3296 Indian Red Corn 100% 06
3356 A Miniature Popcorn
3469 A Tellus Highland Sweet 98
3475 Manning White Maize 100% 96
3549 Yellow Hopi flour Corn 97
3550 Black Hopi Rain Corn 97
3700 Michelles Sweet Corn 98
3701 Michelles Multicoloured Maize
3787 Strawberry Popcorn 98
3980 B Golden Bantam Sweet 03
4212 Multicoloured Aztec 99
4231 Multicoloured Mexican Maize 99
4243 Baby Blue Popcorn 00
4244 Large Red Corn 73% 00
4274 Sapa Corn 93% 00
4369 Black Aztec Corn 93% 00
4739 White Dent Corn 100% 02
4862 Early Mandan 100% 02
4863 Manning Pride 80% 02
4865 Elems red 70% 12/02
5025 Black Corn
5078 Ornamental Multi-Aztec 02
5079 Harley's Choice 02
5123 Corn Local Variety 0% 03
5204 Jolly Roger Sweet 03
5313 Multicoloured Maize 01
5382 Golden Bantam Improved 04
5424 Early Gem Sweetcorn 100% 04
5447 Roccos Sweetcorn 04
5573 Suwan 1 C4 Maize
5574 Across 8531 Maize
5575 Across 8633 Maize
5620 Ontos Pop Corn 05
5856 Red Aztec Maize 10% 01

Old 16-08-2006, 10:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

http://www.minnehahacounty.org/depts...774-150-sm.JPG

Old 17-08-2006, 01:15 PM posted to aus.gardens

wow, almost a dark blue colour, would be interesting to grow some
intermingled in a field with a normal yellow non hybrid and see what
the cross pollination would look like. I would love to try it this
season if I can get hold of some seeds.

Cant order seeds intl - too much hassle to go thru quaranteen. Need to
find local source.

Old 21-08-2006, 03:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" writes:
"ushere" wrote in message
and while we're at it, anyone know of giant bean stalks?

my friend jack had one - it's not there now. you would not BELIEVE the story
he told about what happened to it...!!
kylie

Please -- do tell. Any pics to go with it?

I'll match you with a .jpg of my giant corn. I have it bandaged at the
moment, but will take a snap when I change the dressing tomorrow ....
Old 21-08-2006, 01:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"0tterbot" writes:
"ushere" wrote in message
and while we're at it, anyone know of giant bean stalks?

my friend jack had one - it's not there now. you would not BELIEVE the
story
he told about what happened to it...!!
kylie

Please -- do tell. Any pics to go with it?

here it is, pic from his kitchen window ;-):
http://vilesilencer.com/hillend/bridle_stump.jpg

the whole story was quite, quite mad. but then, he's got all sorts of funny
things in his garden... weird-looking mushrooms, and something he tells his
mum are "tomato plants"... quite frankly he might just be making the whole
thing up! what do you think?

I'll match you with a .jpg of my giant corn. I have it bandaged at the
moment, but will take a snap when I change the dressing tomorrow ....

:-S
i hope you don't decide to pop it!
kylie

Old 22-08-2006, 01:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
"0tterbot" writes:

"ushere" wrote in message

and while we're at it, anyone know of giant bean stalks?

my friend jack had one - it's not there now. you would not BELIEVE the story
he told about what happened to it...!!
kylie

Please -- do tell. Any pics to go with it?

I'll match you with a .jpg of my giant corn. I have it bandaged at the
moment, but will take a snap when I change the dressing tomorrow ....

Are you a vegetable now John?

Old 22-08-2006, 02:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:

I'll match you with a .jpg of my giant corn. I have it bandaged at the
moment, but will take a snap when I change the dressing tomorrow ....

That's not a giant corn! That's a giant B'Onion.
Old 26-08-2006, 08:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

Linda H writes:
John Savage wrote:
I'll match you with a .jpg of my giant corn. I have it bandaged at the
moment, but will take a snap when I change the dressing tomorrow ....

That's not a giant corn! That's a giant B'Onion.

Okay, okay. You're the winner!