Old 24-08-2006, 01:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Aphids on my roses, time to wage war

Dave -Turner wrote:
Today I noticed on my roses out the backyard that most of the bud
sites are covered in aphids. Now before i go on I should warn you
that i put the "um" in greenthumb and ive never tackled aphids before.

My iceberg has had half-hearted buds and flowers all winter, and the buds
have been completely covered in aphids. fricking birds get their seeds right
over the roses, but they haven't et the aphids. I might cut back their seed
ration.

You can rub off the aphids, make up a bowl of soapy water. Won't kill the
ladybirds that way.

Or you can just nuke them with slayaphe.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old 24-08-2006, 03:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

My iceberg has had half-hearted buds and flowers all winter, and the buds
have been completely covered in aphids. fricking birds get their seeds
right over the roses, but they haven't et the aphids.

??? i didnt think birds ate aphids - arent they a bit too small for their
liking? i know Ladybirds love em tho

You can rub off the aphids

That's how it seems at the moment because they're all clusterd together on
the bud sites - perhaps i can dunk each budsite in a bowl of water and shake
them off into the water to drown the little *******s

make up a bowl of soapy water. Won't kill the ladybirds that way.

Why soapy? and should it be neutral temperature, or cold or luke-warm or hot
or ... ?

Or you can just nuke them with slayaphe.

Never heard of it but i'll google it - I'd prefer a more biofriendly/natural
solution tho

Old 25-08-2006, 08:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Dave -Turner" wrote in message

??? i didnt think birds ate aphids - arent they a bit too small for

their
liking?

As far as I'm concerned the only way to deal with aphids is to have
Wrens in your garden. My Wrens spend a lot of time in spring
patrolling the roses and they eat all aphids. I never, ever spray and
they are so very interesting to watch.

I'd prefer a more biofriendly/natural
solution tho

Read up on how to encourage birds into your garden but till you give
up on chemicals they tend not to stay round.

This site might help:
http://canberrabirds.org.au/gardenbl.htm

Aphids on Roses Patsy Brown Edible Gardening 15 30-04-2007 03:41 PM
roses and clematis with aphids..how to remove chris Roses 1 09-06-2003 03:56 AM
Hysterical right wingers and war William Barwell sci.agriculture 0 30-03-2003 12:32 PM
OT financing the war K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 02:16 AM
here's an interesting idea for those of you who don't want war with J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 31-01-2003 12:55 AM