Old 12-09-2006, 11:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Bonsai

It's a 25 year old Ficus, was not going too well. Since I took it under my
care and control it has nearly doubled in size. Was about 7" tall is now
nearly 12" high.
If I re-pot it this will defeat the Bonsai effect I would think.
Thanks for the reply by the way

Old 12-09-2006, 11:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Ian J Robinson" wrote in message
It's a 25 year old Ficus, was not going too well. Since I took it under my
care and control it has nearly doubled in size. Was about 7" tall is now
nearly 12" high.
If I re-pot it this will defeat the Bonsai effect I would think.
Thanks for the reply by the way

Well done with looking after it!! I haven't got a ficus at the moment, so
I'm not too clear on specifically how to deal with it. I do know that if you
want to reduce the size don't overwater and see if you can find a nitrogen
free fertilizer; you want to keep it healthy and build up the trunk without
encouraging any more growth. I've found Seaweed extract to be great for
overly enthusiastic growers. Again, try your local club; you'll usually find
a ficus fanatic who will be able to give you more specifics. Good luck