Old 17-09-2006, 07:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Ground covers

Hi

I would like ground covers instead of mulch, our garden is coloured foliage,
hibiscus, few palms & some succulents so I would like something to blend
with this.
As in previous posts I was discussing my problem with mulch ending up in the
pool, & yes we have a cover but it still ends up in the water.
cheers
Sandra

Old 17-09-2006, 10:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
Hi

I would like ground covers instead of mulch, our garden is coloured
foliage, hibiscus, few palms & some succulents so I would like something
to blend with this.
As in previous posts I was discussing my problem with mulch ending up in
the pool, & yes we have a cover but it still ends up in the water.
cheers
Sandra

Depending on the area you live in, I can't think of any better, drought
resistant ground covers than herbs. Oregano is great, thyme is good too
although can be a bit delicate under dry hot conditions if not watered. Any
small leaved low plant with grey and/or furry foliage would be good. Herbs
like oregano are great as they supress weeds and are thick enough to keep
moisture in. You can buy punnets cheaply from a wholesaler, it smells nice,
has delicate mauve flowers, comes in a variety of leaf colours and also
helps retard bugs! I've grown it happily in frosty south east and north qld
and it seems happy everywhere. Anyway hope this helps

Old 21-09-2006, 11:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Arctotis is a great groundcover...... very hardy, needs minimal watering,
and with its grey foliage and many colourful flowering varieties available
it may be just what you need. Also, it is not terribly deep rooted and it's
foliage is quite soft (not prickly), so when you need to pull some away from
where you don't want it, it's an easy job.

~Roberta~

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
Hi

I would like ground covers instead of mulch, our garden is coloured
foliage, hibiscus, few palms & some succulents so I would like something
to blend with this.
As in previous posts I was discussing my problem with mulch ending up in
the pool, & yes we have a cover but it still ends up in the water.
cheers
Sandra

Ornamental grasses and ground covers [email protected] Lawns 3 19-09-2006 12:31 AM
MulchHold to contain and maintain Ground covers xaox Gardening 1 24-05-2006 08:51 PM
ground covers paghat Gardening 1 29-03-2005 07:44 PM
shady ground covers Jody Lawns 10 15-07-2004 06:05 PM
chinese wolfberry and other edible ground covers sam Gardening 0 26-05-2003 10:08 AM