Old 16-10-2006, 09:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Urgent advice please - young magnolia damaged

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. Came home today to find the young puppy has
broken my new 1m tall magnolia pretty much in half along the main stem.
For the most part it was joined by a brief bit of bark, now it is
completely unattached.

What are my options here.. the base is still intact and has a branch
below the break. I am assuming this will continue growing but how
strong will it be and whatabout its final form?

Can I repot the top half of the break in the hopes that it grows roots?

Can I join them together with some sort of binding medium?

Thanks in advance...

Old 17-10-2006, 04:49 PM posted to aus.gardens
GOW GOW is offline

Most magnoolias are pretty tough so long as you keep the moisture up to them
and don't overfeed them with chemical fertilisers. So if the plant still
has 50cm of stem I think you will find it will shoot out and recover. When
young they are slow to move so don't be too impatient.

I would trim the break so it is even and leave well alone until you have
good shoot growth from the stem. Once you are happy that things are
underway you could look at removing the side brance to restore the shape but
for now leave it on because it's leaves will be feeding the plant. You have
probably lost a couple of years of development but if it is special it will
be worth the wait.

Then again you can throw money at it and have another in the same spot by
Saturday afternoon but chances are Fido will remodel that one for you as
well.

I have never succeeded in getting cuttings to shoot but you have nothing to
lose by trying to plant the top half. Trim the soft parts off and plant it
to see what happens - you never know you could end up with 2 instead of 1.

Binding medium might be best employed on the pup I think.

Cheers
Col

oups.com...