Old 24-10-2006, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Mulches

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I am putting in my lovely veggie bed this weekend. What are the pros and
cons of using hay, pea straw and sugar cane mulches? I'm interested in
personal experience.
Cheers
Liz

my favourite so far has been pea straw. i didn't like sugar cane very much
(pointy & dusty) & atm i've got straw (wheat?) from the farm shop, i don't
like it much because it's so big & stiff. i like the way pea straw is finer
& more flexible. in future i'm just going to make sure the straw has been
through the chicken yard first to break it up a bit & get the seeds out etc.

i bought lucerne seed to grow mulch etc & see how that goes (but have i
planted it yet? no...)
kylie