Old 28-11-2006, 10:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Beatles on my lawn

I have noticed in the last month a huge increase in beatles in my yard at
night. Tonight when i went out to put the sprinkler on (don't be jealous SE
QLDers) there was probably around 20 to 30 jumping around the path. I
googled lawn beatles a while back but all i got was some black ones. These
are much lighter in colour, more greyish. The area where I have the light
is obviously where I see them (I can't see in the dark yet but once my
carrots come up i think might eyesight will improve 10 fold) but the lawn
there is very healthy. Around the back further it is yellowing off but I
thought that may have been a fungus as it is only yellow where it got lots
and lots of water when I was establishing my vege garden.

Should i be concerned about these beatles? I love my lawn atm as I have it
very lush and green (i know there is many lawn haters out there but i'm not
one). Would rather not use a pesticide if it will kill off earth worms as I
am only just now starting to notice them around in the gardens but if the
choice has to be made between worm and lawn lawn will win every time. Who
am I to sit back and let mother natures lawn die when it could be so easily
saved?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Petesin

Old 28-11-2006, 12:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

You could try getting Heather Mills McCartney - she would certainly ward off
any Beatles now.

As for the Beetles- maybe you could get a big native lizard as a pet? They
like eating beetles.

Old 28-11-2006, 10:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

You can tell what sort of an influence on spelling the music industry has.
Beatles are these http://www.beatles.com/ good site
Beetles are these http://www.1974beetle.com/
The Real Beetles http://www.coleoptera.org/

Old 29-11-2006, 12:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Petesin" wh@tthe**** wrote in message
I have noticed in the last month a huge increase in beatles in my yard at
night.

anyone with the gift of raising the dead is all right by me ;-)

[...]

i think you firstly need to identify them for sure, because they might not
be "bad" beetles anyway. we are coming up to beetle-time-of-year, after all.
i think (?!) the csiro & others have resources on creature-identification -
do you have a local uni you can ask at? does your local library or bookshop
have any books on it? you might be able to find a good website with
pictures. _if_ they are destructive, you could think about what to do then
because the treatment will probably vary depending on the problem. i'm quite
the fan of natural selection - utilising predators :-)

i think though that anything which endangers worms is probably utter madness
& needs to be carefully considered (after all, worms are good for lawn,
too). we haven't enough worms here yet & believe me, it shows. worms are
absolute magic so think very very carefully before doing anything that is
dangerous to them.

my vote is: identify the beetles, then go from there. with any luck, you
don't need to do anything.
kylie

Old 29-11-2006, 08:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

the stupid thing is i spelt it 'ee' all the way through then went back and
changed it to 'ea' before i posted it .... anyway i have heaps of lizards in
my yard and i can't see any damage just yet so i will leave it be for now.
The ta ta lizards (at least that's what i call them) should be nice and fat
by the end of summer!